24 degree "Y" point

sub39h

Hi guys,

I am designing a layout to put in my spare room. It is in 00 gauge. The plan so far has consisted of Peco code 75 track. 

I am mostly happy with it, but at one point I need a Y point with a 24 degree angle (i.e. 12 degrees from straight on either side). It must have a wide radius, roughly equivalent to Peco medium or large radius points. Is anyone aware of a RTR point from a manufacturer of compatible track that offers this? I don't feel I am adept enough at making my own track, though worse comes to worst I'd consider custom pointwork from Marcway etc. 

TIA 

It would help if you could give some more information - perhaps a copy of the rest of the track plan?

It's rather difficult to suggest a solution without knowing how the proposed point relates to the rest of the trackwork.

I presume that, for some reason, the small radius Y point is not suitable.

If you have enough space, you could use the large radius Y point and add 6 degrees of curve on to each exit track to make up the 24 degrees that you need.

Regards.

• RMweb Gold

I think that Bill has the most likely solution. Any points from manufacturers that achieve that sort of degree will be smallish radius - I think Shinohara do one that is about 2'8".

Otherwise, any possibility of using a Peco 3-way at that location and using the centre road as a trap or loco siding?

It would help if you could give some more information - perhaps a copy of the rest of the track plan?

It's rather difficult to suggest a solution without knowing how the proposed point relates to the rest of the trackwork.

I presume that, for some reason, the small radius Y point is not suitable.

If you have enough space, you could use the large radius Y point and add 6 degrees of curve on to each exit track to make up the 24 degrees that you need.

Regards.

space is the a factor unfortunately, but yes the small radius is too small. it's for a station approach where all the other points are large radius and i think it looks odd. i'll get a track plan up asap (don't have access to the file atm)

I think that Bill has the most likely solution. Any points from manufacturers that achieve that sort of degree will be smallish radius - I think Shinohara do one that is about 2'8".

Otherwise, any possibility of using a Peco 3-way at that location and using the centre road as a trap or loco siding?

i had considered the use of a Peco 3-way exactly as you suggest, but it just didn't look right somehow. i'll try again though

thanks guys

Archived