gazmanjack

For those out there that like to 'bag out' the BIG manufacturers regarding service etc, I have a 'good feel' story.

I have for some time now, been after a few spare parts for my Black 5 (R3282). After searching ebay, questioning Peters Spares, Abbiegails, East Kent Models and many, many more spare parts providers, I asked the owners of Woodpecker Model Railways in Sydney, if they knew of anyone who could provide me with the required spares. They pretty much referred me to everyone I mentioned above and a few more. I told them I had contacted every one of their contacts, including Hornby themselves, (although I had a reply from them saying that they do not carry spare parts), they gave me Simon Kohlers email address.

I sent Mr Kohler an email approximately 3 1/2 weeks ago and he told me that he would look into it. A couple of days later I received another email from Mr Kohler, requesting my address. So ofcourse, I promptly replied.

Low and behold, when I arrived home from work on Monday, there was a parcel waiting for me, all the way from Margate ! I am truly appreciative of Mr Kohler sending me this item and greatful to him, for going out of his way.

It is wonderful to know that there are still people out there being nice, an ancient thing that seems to be a rarity these days.

Many, many thanks to Mr Kohler and thankyou Woodpecker Model Railways !

Cheers, Gary.

Gary I can only echo your thoughts...

With me it started with my 14 year old controller that finally gave up. I contacted Hornby asking which was the best replacement. The immediately told me which was the best and sent one. Within 3 weeks I had a new controller and transformer at my doorstep all free of cost. All thanks to Mr. Simon Kohler and his Hornby team.

Jeremiah.

• RMweb Premium

There is no doubt whatsoever that all British outline modelers owe a huge debt to Simon Kohler in terms of what he has done for UK outline models. In all the Hornby criticising floating around (and I'll admit I've done my bit) it is easy to forget just what a change took place on his watch. I remember watching an episode of the Money Program on BBC2 (anybody remember that show?!!) where he went through his plans for Hornby and one of his opinions was that if Hornby was to prosper it had to cater to the serious model market and move away from the train set/toy end of the market. I remember thinking "yeah, I'll believe it when I see it", well I have seen it and have seen Hornby produce some truly outstanding models. So if Simon Kohler ever reads this, thank you for what you've done and best wishes for Hornby to get through the troubled times it has found itself in.

Archived