RMweb

Newport Docks GBRF Scrap Train

simon47603

Hi Gents.

Yesterday evening, whilst driving around the Newport Ring Road, I passed over the western most line into the Docks. I glanced down to see GBRF's 66708 top and tailing with another unidentified GBRF 66 with a loaded scrap train. Now I know there is a Scrap Metal Business in the docks. So chances are the train has something to do with that facility.

However what I would like to know is, was it coming or going and where was it coming from or going to? And how long has it been running for? And would anyone know what the other loco is?

Many thanks

Simon

Simon

66708 + 66733 with 16 x JXA forming the 17:19 Newport Docks to Cardiff Tidal - altho' it was running late when you saw it.

Don't know, but I suspect with GBRf power it was for Celsa (UK) Tremorfa.

Don't know if the train originated at the EMR scrap yard in Newport Docks - the Cardiff Docks EMR facility hasn't seen rail traffic for some time (years) now - yet is rail connected to the Tremorfa plant.

Brian R

Hi Brian

Thank you for that. I passed the train at about 18:50. So it was running abit late, fortunately for me!

Hi Stuart

That DBS 66 Coal train is on the eastern line which also runs into Newport Docks from Newport ADJ.

Simon

Why run from Newport to Cardiff, seems a short move. L

LOnger than either Newport Docks to Uskmouth, or Blindwells Opencast to Cockenzie Power Station.. Both are only a mile or two as the crow flies, though a bit further by rail. The latter wasn't even a short-term flow, but ran (indeed, may still run) for at least thirty years- it was the first MGR service in Scotland.

Spoke to a member of GBRf staff a short while ago, and he thinks this train was a rake of empty wagons for cleaning out at Celsa, Tremorfa i.e. to remove the scrap that the magnets can't remove before the wagons are used on a different contract e.g. stone or aggregates.

A GBRf Cl.66 will be working the oil tanks onto Cardiff Docks this coming Saturday.

Brian R

Archived