Hornby (Arnold/Rivarossi) GE U25C in N and H0

At the suggested Walthers retail price of $300 for DCC sound and $220 for DC I suspect their going to be slow sellers , thats HO, $160 for N compare that with the U25B from Bowser in both scales and it looks very expensive.

I think that may be getting towards the new reality. The new N-scale SD40-2s from Intermountain list at $140 (DC), $190 (DCC), $250 (DCC Sound).

Adrian

I foresee kits and scratch building making a comeback.

For those who think "operations" is the way to go, brown boxes on wheels with numbers on actually serve the purpose of moving around as per the "car cards".

You could easily end up with 4-5 times the number of vehicles, and still have money left over for the good life.

At the suggested Walthers retail price of $300 for DCC sound and $220 for DC I suspect their going to be slow sellers , thats HO, $160 for N compare that with the U25B from Bowser in both scales and it looks very expensive.

The 'street price' for the sound HO scale U25Cs is $220-230; non sound around $170.  The decoders are Loksound, full featured and not crippled like the Tsunamis supplied to Bachmann and (I presume) will be used in the new Athearn RTR sound units.  I'm looking forward to getting my U25C.

The Bowser U25B is the old Stewart U25B model; it's been around for 20+ years.  I'm not impressed with how low the price is; I'm appalled at how high the price is for a model that old :) but there's a lot of that going around in the industry.

A better comparison in the Bowser range would be the new C636, I.E. an all new tooling model of a big 6 axle prototype - that one is $299.99 sound and $199.99 non sound (list). If you look at Athearn Genesis pricing for big 6 axle power like GEVOs and 70ACES then their list prices are $299.98 and $199.98...

They are priced to where todays market is.

I received my Atlantic Coast Line model yesterday.  And I must say...I'm impressed.  Very smooth runner, the notorious metal handrails look fine, outstanding trucks, great sound.  The only thing I've found peculiar is the draft gear.   It's weird. The provided knuckle coupler uses a plastic leaf spring to keep the knuckle closed.  And the shank is about 25 thou thicker than a Kadee shank, which means the Kadee cannot be just dropped into the Riv box; it will flop up and down. And the frame's mount for the draft gear box is too narrow for a standard Kadee box. But, happily, a standard whisker coupler mounted in the 'narrow' #262 Kadee box slides right in, and measures up perfectly on the height gauge.  Trim about 1.5mm off the front of the Kadee box and it's invisible.

• RMweb Premium

""slow sellers""??

All now sold out at MB Klein- http://www.modeltrainstuff.com/U25C-Locomotives-HO-Scale-s/3706.htm

Sound versions $229.99.

What other roads (if any) are they producing these in?

Had a look on the Hornby America website and it makes no mention of anything else. https://www.hornbyamerica.com/shop/Hornby/rivarossi/diesel-locos

""slow sellers""??

All now sold out at MB Klein- http://www.modeltrainstuff.com/U25C-Locomotives-HO-Scale-s/3706.htm

Sound versions $229.99.

What other roads (if any) are they producing these in?

No other roads announced yet in HO. In HO scale the initial run was only some of the initial users, the NP and CBQ ones ended up in the BN fleet (and I may well be interested in those!) - the Pennsy to PC and Conrail, the ACL to SCL then Mexico. They haven't done original users L&N, Oro Dam (loco's ended up with L&N), or LS&I either - so they probably have enough roadnames for another couple of runs in HO. Assuming Hornby works these like a US manufacturer would. (If not, expect another run of NP, CB&Q, PRR and ACL with new numbers next year, followed by dropping the range as they didn't sell as well as the first batch! ;) )

It's interesting that they have produced different initial roadnames in N to HO, they had Conrail and BN on the first run! 

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Photos of my Arnold (N-scale) Conrail unit in post #58 here http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/69563-modern-n-scale-locos/page-3

Edit. For those considering a Conrail U25C, they didn't last very long. They were all ut of service by 1980 and the numbers were re-used by SD40-2s. The one that Arnold has done, 6510, was painted into blue around June 1978 and its replacement SD40-2 had a build date of November 1979.

Adrian

Archived