Bachmann BR 4MT 2-6-0

coronach

• RMweb Premium

I have a DCC ready model of the 76xxx class which I run on my DC analogue layout. 

post-11545-0-92759800-1365605785_thumb.j

Last time I tried to operate the loco, it failed to start.  It is usually a very smooth runner but it was beginning to run more sluggishly on recent operating sessions..

On investigation, the motor and drive mechanism tested OK in as much as they work when 12v DC was applied directly to the motor terminals however when 12v was applied to the wheels / pickups, the motor would not turn.  I can only assume that the DCC electronics controlling the motor have developed a fault.

Can someone give me advice on how to rectify this.  I do not need DCC functionality so would be happy to remove / strap out the defective circuit if that is possible.

Thanks

Coronach

• RMweb Premium

True, could be a simple pick up or internal circuit fault on a decoderless loco.  Coronach has had the loco body off - necessarily to apply DC to the motor terminals - and refers to DCC electronics; so on that basis it has a decoder. Not being able to see the chassis...

Thank you.  The loco is indeed 'DCC ready'  The pick-ups are clean so it must be an electronics problem.  What straps do I need to fit?

• 5 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Thanks for your advice guys.  In the end I took the loco to 'The Gas Cupboard' model shop / loco hospital!  The verdict was a blown chip and a loose wire - all fixed for £15. 

Archived