Knapwood Railway

Hornbytrains125

Hi

I am building a oo layout called Knapwood Railway. The layout is a fictional persevered line somewhere in Cornwall. The main focus of the layout is the station that is the terminus of the line, although the station is not built in a terminus style as the line would have continued if it was in real life. The station has a bay platform with enough room for a small engine and 2 coaches, and a main platform that fits 4 coaches. There is also a run around line that serves the station and also the yard that is situated nearest to the viewer. The rest of the line that leads into the large fiddle yard is yet to be built. Here is the signalling diagram so you can get a good idea of what the track is like.

Knapwood Signaling Diagram

As a preserved line would they have kept the signals. The goods yard sidings would soon fill up with rusty old locos and rolling stock waiting to be restored and you'll need to add a group of rambling sheds which would be the preservation railway's workshops?

As a preserved line would they have kept the signals. The goods yard sidings would soon fill up with rusty locos and rolling stock waiting to be restored and you'll need to add a group of rambling shed which would be the preservation railway's workshops?

Hi

You may have got confused by the diagram but all signals are semaphore but I wanted to have a modern diagram as I understand those better. The shed road is actually over a metre long and the shed will be located near to the headshunt on the siding. This means I have over 50cm of sidings I can use to store old wagons and coaches etc. The preservation railway workshops will not feature as part of this station as it would be situated at a much larger station along the line that I'm not modelling.

• RMweb Premium

As a preserved line would they have kept the signals. The goods yard sidings would soon fill up with rusty locos and rolling stock waiting to be restored and you'll need to add a group of rambling shed which would be the preservation railway's workshops?

Whilst that may be true of many preserved sites, have a look at Carrog on the Llangollen Railway, that is a delight to anyone with a GW/WR signalling interest, and the sidings (when I visited, albeit a few years ago) are notably free of rusting rolling stock.

Note to self: must go back to the Llangollen Railway again. :smile_mini2: 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Here are some photos of my recent progress

Knapwood Pagoda

Above is the Pagoda building made from a Ratio kit, with added signs from Tiny Signs. Below is my Bachmann class 105 sitting in the bay platform of the main station.

Class 105 in Knapwood Bay Platform

Another Ratio kit was used to build this halt station, again with added signs from Tiny Signs. The halt still remains nameless.

Class 08 at the Halt

Here is about half of the current fiddle yard. Shown in this image is my (real) shunt signal disc, the small run around loop (centre right), the DMU/loco sidings (centre left) and the beginning of the large run around loops

Fiddle Yard 1

(left)

• 1 month later...

I've done a large amount of work recently on the single line section of the layout passing the halt station. This section is almost complete now, apart from a few trees, about 30cm more hillside, extension of the halt station and a repaint into a more toffee coloured paint as seen on the main station fences.

The banking and tunnel were made from a combination of cardboard and newspaper covered in plaster cloth. This was then painted brown. Then Busch static grass was added and a mix of Woodland Scenics coarse turf to recreate thicker vegetation.

Not much has really happened down at the Knapwood Parkway end of the layout. A few trees have been added, bay platform starting signal wired up, and the platform fence repainted. The pagoda building is awaiting a repaint into the same colour.

I now have a Christmas to do list:

• Pagoda Building Repaint
  • Fiddle yard control panel
  • Halt station repaint
  • More trees!

Here are several images of the layout so far:

post-19683-0-96663900-1387226483_thumb.jpg

post-19683-0-53053100-1387226487_thumb.jpg

post-19683-0-81545400-1387226489_thumb.jpg

post-19683-0-45574900-1387226492_thumb.jpg

post-19683-0-23651800-1387226494_thumb.jpg

post-19683-0-75916300-1387226496_thumb.jpg