C&L HiNi vs Other Nickel Silver Rail

On C&L website (http://www.finescale.org.uk/index.php?route=product/category&path=346_347_350_351) they say the following "The Nickel Silver rail is our 'HiNi' brand. Unique to C&L, it has a nickel silver content of around 18% rather than the general 12% from other manufacturers. This makes it highly corrosion resistant with the added benefit that it tends to look more like the colour of steel rail, rather than the ''yellow' effect of normal nickel silver rail."
Have any members experience of this rail material compared with 'normal' nickel silver  in terms of:

• ease of working (for Switches and Crossings),
  • resistance to corrosion,
  • tendency to attract crud,
  • resitance to corrosion (either from atmospheric moisture or flux residues),
  • colour,
  • friction (i.e. any differences in locomotive traction)?

Is it worth the extra (85p vs 45p a metre for bullhead in 4mm)?

Please let's not start a Nickel Silver vs Steel vs Phosphor Bronze debate here - that's a different topic.

Rod

'Nickel silver content?' - rubbish statement. No 'silver' in 'nickel silver' - generally 60% copper, 20% nickel, 20% zinc, but could vary. No idea if more nickel is better for what you are enquiring after, but I guess it's cheaper than copper.

Best wishes,

Ray

Thanks for your comments Ray

I doubt if C&L are really trying to kid anyone into thinking that their nickel silver rail genuinely contains silver. The issue is one of the Nickel content and looking elsewhere the Ni content of nickel silver does vary from 12 to 18% bearing out what I think C&L meant.

Rod

Archived