Prototype wagon with 2'3" dia disc wheels

Hello.

Yikes, small.

Looked at my index of the Barrowmore diagrams and the smallest I can offer is 2'4½" diameter under some of the Freightliner flats.

Moving up to 2'6" diameter would include Conflat C's and Lowliners as well as more of the Freightliner flats plus a "Hot Ingot Wagon - Insulated".

Not what you're looking for, but that is the sort of vehicle that would have small diameter wheelsets.

David.

I was pretty much thinking that it would be some kind of 'specially constructed vehicle' (SCV) if such a wheel diameter was found on main line stock. Something like the lowest ever 'lowmac' or some specimen of flat or well trolley, and boiler, propellor or trestle subspecies thereof; seriously speed restricted when loaded but that didn't matter because the typical load would be out of gauge and thus only moved slowly under a line possession. Smallest I can find in steam era wagons so far is an early GCR lowmac, or Gresley's 40 ton flat trolley for the GNR, both with 2'6" over tread wheelsets. 9mm over tread would be about right over OO flanges for 2'6" in reality, so the latter may be the way I go..

Archived