The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Any ideas where I took these photos in 1954?

DonB

Scans of Five B/W prints taken in 1954 (it says on the packet!) when I was penny-less and using a cheap plastic-bodied point & shoot camera, probably with 126 format film.

My suspicion of the location is some-where in N. Wales, perhaps Dinorwic? I spent some time cycling round there and the NG lines in the early 1950s ( I used a track spike from the Corris as a Paperweight on my works desk for many years)

post-136-0-39136100-1372953825.jpg

post-136-0-73729600-1372953834.jpg

post-136-0-26019500-1372953852.jpg

post-136-0-89582400-1372953863.jpg

post-136-0-37263900-1372953876.jpg

The identity of the loco ?? is / was it a De Winton?

That's a very busy looking track layout in the works shot, which looks like standard gauge. What were they processing?

The first photo looks as though it's some sort of staithes, where material would be tipped into ships; the middle track, disappearing off under the others, would be to collect spillage. The background to the first loco photo also shows a jetty, with loading facilities. Might this have been Seaham, between Sunderland and Hartlepool?

The first photo shows the bottom of the inclines leading to the Penmaen Pier, the western of the two quarry piers.  Tracks to left and right lead onto the top of the storage hoppers, while the centre track runs down to the pier level itself.  The pier was last used in 1955 and demolished in 1961

The second photo is WATKIN DeWinton of 1893, now at Penrhyn Castle Museum.  The pier in the background is the Graiglwyd Pier, the eastern one.

The third photo shows the unusual rotating bridge in the main line exchange sidings at the Penmaen Pier.  The wall on the left was situated between two standard gauge sidings - lifted by the time of the photo.  On top of the wall were two 3ft gauge tracks, interlaced because of the narrow width, from which stone was tipped into standard gauge wagons.  To reach these tracks the timber structure on the right would be pushed across the standard gauge siding.

The fourth photo is a tip wagon, referred to locally as a mill wagon, used for crushed stone.

The fifth photo is WATKIN again.

Thanks for the interest, and particularly  to PGH, I have no recollection of taking these shots, and have been racking my brains trying to remember !

Should I put these into my Gallery too, now that the location is identified?

Whoops!

I didn't remember posting them previously. The old grey cells are definitely failing in their duties.

I have a heap of NG shots which I know I have not posted, most taken on NG Society meetings, must get round to doing so. 

Penmaenmawr is not too far on the A55 from my patch.

Is there anything left of operations to find?

If so, I'll go and take some pictures to round the thread off.

There are few remains of the quarry system at the bottom level, apart of course from the BR sidings at Penmaenmawr Station.  At higher levels there should be more to see if you fancy the climb, although its many years since I've been up there.  Much of the eastern (Graiglwyd) section has been landscaped in recent years but most of the western (Penmaen) section around the headland probably remains, except for the top which is now the working quarry.  However most of the rail equipment has gone apart from the remains of an odd wagon or a few lengths of rail.  Some of the incline drumhouses were reasonably intact when I last visited - mind you that was about 30 years ago !  There are of course the sorry remains of the DeWinton loco PENMAEN, stripped to just the bare frames, wheels and boiler.

Archived