RMweb

Stirling (Scotland) Semaphores

Hi

Having seen a photo of a recent steam tour at Stirling which quoted that "this may be the last time steam is seen with these semaphores...", I wondered if anyone locally knew (a) what is still left (also perhaps at Dunblane and other local stations) and (b - dependent on a) when the last are scheduled to be replaced.

thanks

Hi

Having seen a photo of a recent steam tour at Stirling which quoted that "this may be the last time steam is seen with these semaphores...", I wondered if anyone locally knew (a) what is still left (also perhaps at Dunblane and other local stations) and (b - dependent on a) when the last are scheduled to be replaced.

thanks

Dunblane still has DB 41(DPL shunt disk),42(DPL starter),45(DM starter), DB 44(DM ) DB 6(UM) all are at the north end of the station all the ones at the south end of the station have been replaced. All signals between Dunblane and Hilton Junction (all Hilton Signals bar HJ 6 and 3 are colour light) are still seamaphore apart from the distance signals.

• RMweb Gold

Here are some of my Stirling signal pics from 2003 - alas even then there were distinct signs of modernisation of signal structures and fittings from my visit of 10 years previously although I did manage some better views on this occasion (you need to pick the right train!)

post-6859-0-29152100-1373105100_thumb.jpg

post-6859-0-31118400-1373105169_thumb.jpg

post-6859-0-41743200-1373105195_thumb.jpg

I recall the SRPS being allowed to take the last surviving lower quadrant arm there in 2001, along with some other semaphores, when a couple of sidings were being taken out. According to the authorities at the time, it was the last LQ arm on Network Rail (Railtrack then maybe) in Scotland.

I Believe all the semaphore masts have been earmarked/offered for preservation. One will be mounted at the station entrance to commemorate the passing of the old signals. I believe the SRPS will get one or more masts and possibly Strathspey as well. I'm sure none will be scrapped.

Archived