gn 15 layout : Sebastien's Mussels

In parallel of the Woolacombe bay (at 1/13 scale), I'm doing with 2 friends of my club a gn15 layout. I convert 2 members of my club  to gn15 (Gn15 is 15" gauge rail at 1/24 scale on 16.5 mm rail).

This is the true site in narrow gauge located in the south of France.

club1.jpg

The name is "Moules de chez Sébastien " or sebastien's mussels for the MOMING 2013 challenge in sedan (France).

We share the job : Erwan and Jean-paul build the layout and me I work on the rolling stocks and the weathering.

Erwan find the idea of mussel business in the French Mediterranean sea in the "pond of Thau", in reality it's a big salt lake.

This is our interpretation.

club4.jpg

club3.jpg

club2.jpg

We have made some progress. We need to install now the backdrop and made the sea with resin.

The layout measures 80 cm by 30 cm (it's a micro layout).

The overall view

1.jpg

The rolling stocks from peper 7 fit with kadee couplers (efficient but not design and not very elegant to this kind of wagons)

2.jpg

2.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

The crane from erwan

6.jpg

The logo designs by Erwan

7.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

You are like me, I don't like this kadee couplers outside. There are 2 reasons for that :

- originaly I design the coupling system with pin ans link but It wasn't reliable so I change to kadee couplers

- I can't place kadee inboard because I had to  place additional weight in this part where I could mount the kadee system.

And if I had to remove the additional weight, I will had derailment.

It's one of the reason I change of scale to 7/8 ths in order to have pin and link system reliable and heavy weight for the freight rolling stock.

• 1 month later...

Franck

I was intrigued at EuroMOMING to see that you, like me, had decided to keep one end open without back scene. I was working with 3 x A4 whereas you had 3 x A3, but the proportional effect was much the same.

I kept one end open because I decided that closing both ends in the traditional diorama manner would make the layout feel too enclosed - was this your rationale too?

By the way, I thought this layout was every bit as good as the other one, very atmospheric. The very large scales certainly suit these micro layouts. Now Slater's are bringing out a 16mm bow-framed 20hp Simplex, I might give it a whirl next.

David

Franck

I was intrigued at EuroMOMING to see that you, like me, had decided to keep one end open without back scene. I was working with 3 x A4 whereas you had 3 x A3, but the proportional effect was much the same.

I kept one end open because I decided that closing both ends in the traditional diorama manner would make the layout feel too enclosed - was this your rationale too?

By the way, I thought this layout was every bit as good as the other one, very atmospheric. The very large scales certainly suit these micro layouts. Now Slater's are bringing out a 16mm bow-framed 20hp Simplex, I might give it a whirl next.

DavidI

I Agree with your/our choice : for the sebastien mussel we left one side open to have 2 points of view and in my other layout the woolacombe bay that I exposed also I left the 2 sides open.

Archived