HELP! - Cobalt/Digitrax

MercMan

I've tried until I'm blue in the face to get my DT-402 to activate a Cobalt Digital motor. I've followed the programming instructions and I know it's not faulty as it moves when I put power to it. But when I select it using the SWCH command nothing happens. This is my first attempt at controlling my points using DCC so I  may well be doing something wrong. I've been told by Richard at DCC Concepts that some Digitrax throttles are not factory configured to operate turnouts and they need to be set to do so. I've tried the Bushby Bit but still no joy. Think I need an idiots guide / advice.

Cheers

John

Hi MercMan,

I didn't have to set anything special for my Digitrax system to operate accessories, just selected the 'SWCH', tapped in the accessory address, then issued either 'Throw' or 'Close' depending on the point orientation via the keypad.

Are you sure the Accessory Decoder it's attached to is addressed correctly? What make / model are you driving the Cobalt Digital from?

Cheers, Mark.

There is only one Op-Switch in Digitrax command station manuals relevant to turnouts, and that's Op-Switch 27, otherwise known as the "Bushby bit".  Default should be "t", and allows normal operation of turnouts from a throttle.  If set to "c" then turnouts are operated via a computer (which is usually programmed to ensure that the request from a throttle is acted upon if there isn't a conflict).

As Mark said, it should "just work".  Out of the box the command station will operate turnouts.  The full-feature throttles (DT300, DT400, DT402 and Zephyr keypad) can work accessories (turnouts).  The utility throttle (UT1, UT4) can only drive locos, not work turnouts.

- Nigel

One other thing I have seen to prevent a throttle from throwing switches is if there is a loconet problem somewhere. The symptom is usually confirmed by pushing the sw button on the throttle but it not changing to switch mode. (no address input) However, in the middle of the bottom row of the display it will change from fcn to sw. Otherwise as long as the stationary decoder is connected to the rail A and rail B outputs, set to the appropriate address, and the track power is on it should work.

Nigel, just one correction, the UT1 will change points. (press run/stop and acq at the same time. dial in the point number, 1-99 only press acq to toggle between T and C. The throttle will stay in switch mode until you press run/stop + acq again to exit) This was great in the old days when the DT100 or DT200 would exit switch mode after around 10 seconds. It meant you could keep the throttle just for operating switches if you wanted.

Hi Guys, I'm using a DT402 with a DB150. Could it be the DB150? Do I need to upgrade? Richard from DCC Concepts has been very helpful with ideas. So I'm going to try again.

As Andrew said, it should just work.  Op-Switch 27 ("Bushby bit") is also available in DB150, so worth checking - the default which you need for normal commands from a throttle is "t".

Do you have access to any other accessory decoders that you could borrow ?   Do they work ?

( Andrew, thanks for note on UT1 and switch commands ).

- Nigel

OK guys, it was one of those "I don't believe it"  moments. The fault was the wire from the bus to Track B on the Cobalt was not making a proper contact. Reinstalled it and now it all works.  Time for  large G & T.

Cheers

John

John, don't feel bad. I recently spent a whole evening trying to figure out why a ****ing DS54 Stationary decoder wouldn't program in JMRI. I had stuck a 1000 ohm resistor across the output instead of a 100 ohm. D'oh!

Archived