How do I remove the motor from a Hornby class 50?

mevaman

I want to replace the motor on a Hornby 50 and am trying to work out how to remove the motor. Should I disconnect the bogies and, if so, how do I take these off.

I realise that this should be simple!

Any help much appreciated.

Andrew

Get the exploded diagram from Hornby's downloads page as a guide. Don't believe you absolutely need to take the bogies off based on another near contemporary design (Brush 2) in their range which has much commonality in construction. Take off the 'top clutter' of main PCB, bruddy-useless-fan-turning-gizmo, and anything else in the way, ease the motor out. The motor is captive in a couple of polymer 'cushions', rather a tight fit.

If you do want or need to remove the bogies, there is a clip on cover over the worm at the top of the gear tower. Unlikely as it may seem this retains the bogie in the chassis.

I presume you have positive evidence that the motor is dead or malfunctioning before going to this trouble? If not, test with DC power applied directly to the motor terminals once these are on view, and the drive lines have been checked to make sure they turn freely. I have several times been presented with models with 'dead motors' to sort out; and usually the motor is fine, the trouble that prevents it turning being elsewhere.

Thanks 34theletterbetweenB&D

I had already checked that the drive was free and had also disconnected the PCB and checked the motor with direct DC to the black and red wires.  I also disconnected the TV suppressor in case this was causing the fault.  The problem is a straight short.

I have the exploded diagram and am having real trouble with the polymer cushions being so tight that I cannot shift the motor. 

Andrew

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

My sole recollection of moving a motor out of the Brush 2 chassis casting was using a fairsized flat bladed screwdriver and 'inching up' the cushions in turn. (Salvaging a running motor from an accident damaged wrecked chassis.)

I agree. I sold off all my Hornby 50's about 6 years ago but I remember this is the only way- brute force and ignorance!

Archived