Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

New project- Cuba (Hershey Interurban)

I have the N-scale version and the chassis is far too high for a steeplecab. A boxcab on the other hand could work.

Do you think it would fit under the hoods on this...:

http://ymtram.mashke.org/cuba/hershey/photos/hersh11011mg.jpg

This is the N gauge 44 Tonner chassis without it's PCB:

http://estore.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=popup_image&pID=1671

Do you think it would fit under the hoods on this...:

http://ymtram.mashke.org/cuba/hershey/photos/hersh11011mg.jpg

This is the N gauge 44 Tonner chassis without it's PCB:

http://estore.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=popup_image&pID=1671

Well I measured mine. it's .9 cm from the hook for the trucks to the top, this is probably greater than the still to the top. And the chassis is .8 cm wide. So this should be enough to clear the hood. I liked to see that motor in N, it looks like a smaller version of 8-wheel motors the OE built and later sold to the NSL.

• Like 1

Well I measured mine. it's .9 cm from the hook for the trucks to the top, this is probably greater than the still to the top. And the chassis is .8 cm wide. So this should be enough to clear the hood. I liked to see that motor in N, it looks like a smaller version of 8-wheel motors the OE built and later sold to the NSL.

I still don't know exactly why they rebuilt them, the cabs are original but the square hoods were added when the traction motors were changed. The Hershey had previously added extra ventilation slots in the sloping hoods to aid ventelation, so perhaps they have traction motor blowers too...?

A book you might find useful, 'Trains of Cuba' by Adolf Hungry Wolf published by Canadian Caboose Press

ISBN 0-920698-46-8

Thanks for the tip, but luckily I've been lent a copy, Phil....!! You're right, it is most useful. The Baldwin 4-6-0 will be getting a ficticious number and mill name that doesn't clash with any of those listed in the book.

One rescourse I am trying to loop out for are photos from William D. Middleton as he was in Cuba at the time I'm looking to model. I have his photos in Trains magazine 01/59, his book titled "The Last Interurbans", and a Joe Strapac book on GE Steeplecabs. I'm assuming that there are more in other publications, as his photos seem to be spread far and wide. 

• 1 month later...

Just plain "Central Alonzo" would ring better - full names tend to give post-Revolution connotations.

Cheers NB

Relying on my limited experience, I think I'm definitely swaying towards preferring the pre-revolution era- although there have obviously been many improvements made to certain areas of life since 1959, other areas (which I'm not going to name) need someone to step back and say "Look, what the Bl**dy Hell are we doing here, this is no way to run a railway or even a country".

I'm still liking the idea of lettering a loco for "Central Pedro", in recognition for the help given by Cuban modeller, travel expert, and all-round good guy Peter Smith for all of the help given so far.

Relying on my limited experience, I think I'm definitely swaying towards preferring the pre-revolution era- although there have obviously been many improvements made to certain areas of life since 1959, other areas (which I'm not going to name) need someone to step back and say "Look, what the Bl**dy Hell are we doing here, this is no way to run a railway or even a country".

I'm still liking the idea of lettering a loco for "Central Pedro", in recognition for the help given by Cuban modeller, travel expert, and all-round good guy Peter Smith for all of the help given so far.

You aren't the first one to reason like that. A new crop of historians have been revisiting the Revolution and looking at facts and documents (including official post-Revolution government sources) as they are, without the tinted glasses of politics. What they have found was that Cuba was already on the way up when Fidel & Co. happened on the scene, and that many things actually went down after the Revolution - like a nascent but thriving rock and pop music scene, driven either underground or into exile and replaced by today's musical poverty (Mother was in Cuba a few years ago and was almost driven crazy...being a former musician herself she knows her notes) on Guevara's orders. No mistakes, I'm a fan of Compay Segundo and songs like "Chan Chan" and "Pico y Pala" but I do like variety... :-D

Concerning names, you could letter the locos "The Smith Sugar Company" - many Cuban steam locos carried their owner's names in plain English on their tanks and tenders. Lots of examples in Chris Walkers' "Narrow Gauge in Cuba" book, a must-have even if you aren't into narrow gauge.

Cheers NB

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I thought I'd better post a quick update to show what has happened to date, just in case anyone was thinking the idea has gone cold. Firstly on the stock front, I have been snapping up more Roundhouse and Accurail Wooden 40' Boxcars and P2K Type 21 8K & 10K Tank cars, whilst on the motive power front I have found a cheap Bachmann Consolidation that seems to run ok through on no.4 turnouts and am on the lookout for a Mogul.

Planning is a different matter- I had a fair idea of what I wanted to build in a reasonable amount of space, basically big enough to run double headed Steeplecabs on a string of tank cars and long rakes of sugar cane cars. The plan is roughly based on Jibacoa and splits on the right with an unelectrified branch to a cane loading point and Hershey operated branch that gives an excuse to switch and run the weekly mixed train to Central San Antonio with a Mogul or GE diesel on the front. There is a token industry at the back on the left for more switching. Dimensions are 8'x1'.

post-6819-0-37288200-1385735320_thumb.jpg

But as the weather changed and funny things happening to Wiley when it was in the garage last month, I decided to take the advice on here and build the layout you have space for today. This uses bits from the previous design in a more urban setting, and might be considered as a larger version of a mooted idea for a Mill/Cigar Factory/Rum Distillery in an Ikea APA box. There is still opportunity for building a mixed non-electric hauled train, and the industries at the back also allow switching. But the space is quite confined, the scenic section is just over 4' and it is slightly deeper, and allows for a ~3' traverser fiddle yard on the right which fits within my current layout space in the study (just less than 8' long). There is also the possibility of adding a yard on the left at shows to allow run-through traffic and for tracks to disappear into a goods shed or industry as per Matanzas.

post-6819-0-98358000-1385735327_thumb.jpg

I did try to include a run-round but it'd be too short to really be useable in this space and wouldn't really be needed as a switching loco would be used for freight and the passenger cars can take care of themselves.

• Like 2

Andy, if you take the second track down from the top outside the building, you could plug in a fiddlestick at the left with a single or double length Locolift as a sector plate/Fiddle off-scene at the left, to fit between the second and third tracks , and have another similar locolift off-scene at the righthand side (or a traverser) - the left side/runround would be used for exhibitions where you have more room, rather than at home. The other solution might be to join two APAs end to end. were you going to use a modified Roundhouse boxcab as an electric loco or a Labelle inter-urban?

Edited by shortliner
  • Like 1

I know what you mean, Jack- I'll have to redraw the plan to suit. I did think about using a couple of APA boxes, but like the idea of a proper layout with a full width frontage (finding suitable scenic breaks on the Hershey is a pain.

Stock-wise, I'm planning to build a couple of GE Steeplecabs as per my usual methods, and a variety of Interurban cars from Labelle kits- Freight Motor 400, powered & unpowered brill cars, and I reckon I can bash one of the converted cars from a Bachmann coach. Diesels will be GE 44, 45, & 70 tonners, and Mogul, Consolidation and 4-6-0 steam locos.

If you want to go down the modified boxcab route - I may have one in the bottom of a box, but I'll need to go hunt - I might even have a panto for it - It's that time of year - BOOM! BOOM!

What do you think it could be reworked as....? I have a vague memory of seeing an Ingersoll-Rand type diesel Boxcab in Cuba but nothing similar on the Hershey in this era.

As for pantographs, I have a few Sommerfeldt diamond frames but am looking at producing an etch for the correct crossarm type.

From Australia but the info might be useful for cuban sugar railway

tourist passenger cars

http://www.zelmeroz.com/album_model/basics/25_tourist.pdf

http://www.ozbob.com/project3.html

lots of info on sugar cane railway modeling

http://www.zelmeroz.com/canesig/resources/resource-02hbk.html

http://www.zelmeroz.com/album_model/basics/26_cubanloader.pdf

http://www.zelmeroz.com/album_rail/ctn/ctn_07.pdf

neat mechnical cane cutter at end of artical

Edited by dana
  • Like 1

Hi Andy, there's a Cuban cane car on Shapeways that may be useful though it is described as HOe so may be a bit narrow.

Nick

Good find, I did think an etch might be better but it seems to work well as a 3d print and could be scaled up by the designer to represent a standard gauge car.

• 5 weeks later...

Instead of doodling on paper, I've decided to do something neater and see what can be fitted in a token 7' x 15" space, using Peco code 75 geometry. I've had a vague idea for a plan floating around for a few weeks now, and realised that instead of trying to cram everything into a smaller scenic section, a larger space could be operated with designated sceniced fiddling areas in the layout space* at home, but expanded with additional fiddle yards when set up in the Garage or at any shows I might care to drag it out to. 

post-6819-0-34050800-1388425244_thumb.jpg

The electrified Hershey runs from bottom left to top right, with an unelectrified branch for steam hauled sugar cane trains and a mixed train hauled by a 70 tonner disappearing bottom right. Trains from it can run towards the proposed mill complex or into the station area, where trains can be re-marshalled. I'm not quite sure of the mill complex yet, it might be possible to have most of it off stage, with loaded trains running in and empties leaving. Either way, I didn't want to cram too much track in at this stage.

* The "layout space" at home is approx. 92" long, it would have been longer but the position of the wall between it and the kitchen was decided by the size of the fridge, which Mrs 298 decided was going to be of the American style and thus needed a larger space.

Edited by 298

"Visible staging" at home - looks like it will have a nice open feel. Are you using a single piece baseboard?

Nick

I need to find something to hide the area in the top right corner, apart from lineside vegetation (the grass seems to grow to footplate level). Cuba looks like "Big Sky" country, so needs to appear to look open like you said.

It'll be on two 3'9" (approx) boards, it's too long to do something silly again such as cram everything on one board, and the above plan gives me a rough idea as to where the joint can go without interfering with the track plan too much.

• 8 months later...