RMweb

New project- Cuba (Hershey Interurban)

Nice job Andy, how did you do the decals?

Nick

The stripes are cut from masking tape and Railmatch NSE Red is airbrushed on (I'm not sure of the exact shade, but thought the slightly faded look would suit it better), and the lettering was drawn in Photoshop using the nearest fonts I could find and printed onto Crafty paper. I've only used the white background stuff before, and this was a lot easier.

Will be watching as I've done the line  a few times.

Hershey station would be good, couple of tracks, nice building but far enough from the mill, could use latter as aback scene?

Hershey.... Hmmm.

I think I'll have to re-think the space available, current thinking was for somewhere like Jibacoa but with a junction to a non-electrified branch, but I've worked out any switching of a mixed train (such as to Central San Antonio) was done at Hershey and not at the end of the electrified section, such as Bainoa.

Because building the stock will take a long time, I'm starting to re-consider a small, single-ended switching layout with a small amount of train reformation and industries to work, and to leave cramming everything else I want (pairs of Steeplecabs on tanks, long cane trains, a junction with a diamond, and a bit of street running as per Casablanca) for the larger magnum opus instead of trying to fit it into 8'.

A quick trial assembly and test run:

post-6819-0-96590400-1411245981_thumb.jpg

post-6819-0-43275300-1411246027_thumb.jpg

Never assemble a loco after a day spent looking after kids...! I put the battery boxes in from an earlier loco so they sit too low, and overdid the black on the window surrounds. The numbers look ok on the cab sides as they are in the shadow of the engineers elbow shelf, but the larger lettering on the hood sides have the obvious transfer film.

Edited by 298
  • Like 4

Hi Phil,

In short, I don't know....!!

There seems to be alot of tank cars in photos from the 50's and I'm guessing their use continued until recently and were augmented by imported cars from Russia, and can now be seen abandoned in loops along the Hershey & generally all over Cuba.

There seem to be two traffic types using tank cars, shipments from the Standard Oil Co. Refinery at Belot nr Havana to all over the system for local distribution (Texaco & Shell cars also featured in my initial research), and Molasses from various sugar refineries to Rum distilleries, the latter seems a bit strange as the Hershey roster in the late 1950's only listed 9 tank cars, so I'm assuming this was a low volume or the Molasses were mainly transported in barrels in Box cars.

I've been thinking that a Rum Distillery would make a ficticious but interesting little micro layout, with Boxcars, Tank cars and Gondolas in and out, and even an Interurban car for workers...  

No need to be fictitious - Hershey's Santa Cruz del Norte branch ended inside a rum distillery...

Cheers NB

• Like 1

A quick trial assembly and test run:

attachicon.gifIMAG0265_1.jpg

attachicon.gifIMAG0264_1.jpg

Never assemble a loco after a day spent looking after kids...! I put the battery boxes in from an earlier loco so they sit too low, and overdid the black on the window surrounds. The numbers look ok on the cab sides as they are in the shadow of the engineers elbow shelf, but the larger lettering on the hood sides have the obvious transfer film.

Felicitaciones, muy bueno!

Cheers NB

Edited by Nick_Burman
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

So this is going to be ready for the next modular meet with a transfer board? ;)

( might need a bridge on the module as the connection to the mainland :) )

I really shouldn't read anything with Cuban subjects as it gets me wanting to model the NG lines.

So this is going to be ready for the next modular meet with a transfer board? ;)

( might need a bridge on the module as the connection to the mainland :) )

I really shouldn't read anything with Cuban subjects as it gets me wanting to model the NG lines.

I think a train ferry module would be more appropriate, although I did have ideas to connect Wiley with a module based on the Iowa Traction interchange, perhaps for 2017 when the oldest Baldwin celebrates its centenary.

I did hit a bit of a stumbling block with this project, but now have fixed it with some easy wins by repainting rtr stock when I should have been working on something else. Perhaps that's what I need to motivate me (although I really ought to be getting on with the planned freemo modules...

Sometimes wandering off to do something slightly different and less demanding is just what you need, I was really tired yesterday and spent a while drilling a gazillion holes in a batch of GP38-2s, probably the most modelling i've done for a month or so...

Here's a quick one that'll get you running powers on the new layout with just one Bachmann switcher and some homemade decals:

post-6819-0-87484200-1412088417_thumb.jpg

I couldn't find an app to give you your Cuban Mill name, so choose from Central Antonio Montana, Central Nico Quinn, Central Martyn Leer, Central Rock Springs (I think Babelfish had given up on me by the last two...).

• 6 years later...