Motors from other than the usual sources

tebee

I'm looking at trying 2.4 Mhz radio control in some of my US steam locos. Now some have fairly modern can motors but many date from the late 50's to early  70's and have older open frame motors which would be better replaced.

I'm also intending to put double reduction gearboxes in some to achieve nearer scale speed running  - I'm looking for around 30 mph max in the freight locos and 50 in the passenger.

Now one of the nice things about RC is that as you are not relying on pick through the track and wheels you can use lower voltages and this makes available a vast range of alternative motor, including those used in RC planes and those made for computer industry amongst others.

But one looking at these I realized that motors have moved on  since the day all you worried about was the size and number of poles. There are now motors in all shapes and sizes with rare-earth magnets, precious metal brushes and the like, not to mention core-less ones. If you are prepared to buy from ebay or China, some of these seem to offer motors with a good specification for a very low price.

But even if you look at the manufactures specification sheet, I'm still unsure which features I should be looking for.  So can anyone offer me any advice on how to choose? Even a web site explaining the pros and cons of  the various options would be a help.

Tom  

I am converting my NGauge locos to battery powered radio control BPR/C - there is a separate Forum section on radio control where I have described some of my efforts.

I have found that motors from cheap servos work very well with 1 cell (3.6v) LiPo batteries. Servos are easy to obtain and come in a range of sizes all designed to work with 4.5 - 6v --- and they come with some "free" gears.

...R

Archived