The L&W,a 1950's Georgia shortline

Tove

Based on the photo with the train, they appear to be about 13 scale feet apart (40' Box Car).

It has a very nice faded creosote look.

Adrian

Thanks Adrian,

They are indeed 13 scale feet apart.(center to center)

Simon,

I totally miss-read you first question! :fool: (It was time for bed....)

Anyhow i put a few measurements together for the bent assembly.

post-19751-0-00508600-1380723252_thumb.jpg

Brian.

• 3 weeks later...

Well with the trestle finished a few weeks back,i was able to continue track laying to the terminus at Louisville,and rip out the Wadley section!.

But first Louisville,

post-19751-0-21733900-1382106810_thumb.jpg

This is the end of the line,with the depot to the front,a fuel dealer of the end of the runround and behind are a warehouse/courrigated shed and (on my layout) a furniture manafactuer.In reality this was part of the louiville gin & ferilizer complex as shown below.

post-19751-0-97135200-1382106830_thumb.jpg

The Louisville gin & ferilizer complex is,or was, the single biggest shipper on the line.

Hopefully the card mock ups give an impresion of size for the industry.Apart from various warehouses and processing buildings, (for the cotton and cotton oil)there is also the huge seed house on the right for storage.

Now for the Wadley side of the layout.

This was from it`s inception a big compromise because i could`nt lay out the real track layout for Wadley to anything like i wanted to,hence the Track plan.

Also all i kept seeing was lot`s of track with short spurs and and not alot of what i would call small town Georgia!.

So out it came......

It has now been re-placed with a single long loop, (double ended siding) which is based on a few pictures of a small hamlet call Blundale.It was going to be Moxley as this is on the L&W line, but i had nothing to go on other than a siding length from a timetable,so Blundale was decided on.This is located on the WS (Wadley Southern) line south of Wadley and has pulpwood loading and from the looks of things a freight house of some sort,but more importantly it has the look i`m trying to achive,plus it`s more along the lines of what i was after,ie rural,a nice collection of rustic buildings and no spagetti bowl of track!!.

post-19751-0-33300500-1382107943_thumb.jpg

(Used with perrmision,Steve Flanigan collection)

This is the hamlet of blundale,which i`ve used as a substitute for Moxley,to the right the depot,left a warehouse,not sure what the buildings are behind,but out of view behind the photographer is a cattle dealer`s building.

And my version;

post-19751-0-05192100-1382107885_thumb.jpg

post-19751-0-95935600-1382107927_thumb.jpg

Hopefully this will look fairly unclutered when finished,oh and another plus....there is now a fourteen foot run inbetween Louisville and Moxley,

happy days!

Brian.

• 4 months later...

You have a very nice layout underway. I live in Georgia, although the western part of the state, and am a third generation Central of Georgia (now Norfolk Southern) employee. I'd urge you to consider joining the Central of Georgia Railway Historical Society. They cover the Central shortlines.

If you'd like, I have a mid 1950s L&W, W&T, and WS employee timetable I could share with you. Email me at th498@aol.com if you're interested. Allow me some time to reply; I travel a good deal.

Regards,

Tom Holley

• 2 years later...

That's a shame - it looked very promising.

Thanks Echo,

I had started to scenic the Moxley side but could`nt acheive the look that i wanted in HO,and it`s something that`s so appealing about shortlines. ie:track buried to the rail top`s.

And another factor that contributed to it`s demise,was having to duck under the trestle every time i was running a train....A good idea at first,but it proved to be a real pain the backside after a while!.

OK.

Why, and with what?

Well to put it bluntly Simon, I got bored with the IAIS layout as i`d run out of ideas for it.

You see i`m not too good when it comes to building freelance layouts!.

But, i have`nt been idle this past year, as i do have something else in the pipeline though.So i`m not going to give too much away just yet,other than that; i`ve returned to my first passion which is O/P48 scale,and that i have started a small layout build that will be set in the late 70`s in Chicago........call... Lakewood...

Hopefully i`ll start a thread over the weekend,but`s that`s only providing i can finish up building the trackwork!.

Brain.

Thanks for the compliment Northroader,and likewise your capabilities   are   to     shabby either!. :good:

(are`nt too)

Cheers,

Brian.

Brian,

I am not sure whether to be disappointed at the grammatical error of using "to" for "too", or amused at the typing of "are" instead of "aren't"...

:)

Simon

:O oooh  eck !!....eyes,brain and fingers not connected....... :blush_mini:

Brian.

Archived