My Mac can't find my SPROG! Please help!

Tom J

My SPROG IIv3 arrived today, so I nipped out and bought a Bachmann 36-558A chip for my Dapol Class 26 as the test piece.

I have connected up an oval of track to the Sprog, and a power supply.

When I set DecoderPro up to connect to the Sprog, it finds it at /dev/tty.usbmodemfa121 - I select this and re-start the software.

The Sprog is displaying two steady red LEDs.

I am continually getting a 306 error (timeout) which infers that DecoderPro is not finding the port the Sprog is on. Nothing I chance seems to make any difference.

I am running a mid-2011 iMac on Mountain Lion. Nothing else particularly interesting about my setup!

Can anyone help me please?

Can I ask why you are restarting the software after selecting the device?

When I played about with JMRI and my NCE system on a Mac I had to select the usb device each time as JMRI did not seem to remember what I selected.

When I select the device and port, and tell it to save the settings, it automatically restarts the software. When it restarts, the opening screen shows the device, and the correct port, as in the image above, but the USB light doesn't flicker and as soon as I try a read command, I get a 306 error.

Just shows how things change, when I tried it was an early version of OSX and I've no doubt an earlier version of software from JRMI. Unfortunately the MAC I used for the trials is stuffed away as its not used now, so would take awhile to get out set up etc.

I remember when I first tried I had a few issues communicating with the USB device (mine need drivers installed ) but I found a few test lines on the web site for the driver that could be sent using terminal, to confirm things on the Mac side were working. This pointed me to the fact it was a JMRI software problem but I cannot remember how I fixed it.

Edit

found this page http://pbxbook.com/other/mac-tty.html which may help you a bit to test things outside of Decoder Pro

Yikes, that page is a bit scary!

I did find the driver which the maker of Sprog refers to, here: http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm

I installed it but it didn't make any difference.

I tried the terminal entry it suggested, and the 'tty' variant (which I read I am supposed to use, here: http://www.bbmgroup.com/sprog/faq.html#Q500 ) - and the device is showing up:

post-9664-0-27136800-1374609123.png

Suggests to me that this might be a software issue with JMRI, as you say, but surely I am not doing anything particularly off-piste trying to use a Sprog with Mountain Lion, with the latest version of everything?! Very strange.

I just tried putting Java on an old Win2K laptop I had in the cupboard, but no dice with that, not helped because I can't find the necessary wifi or ethernet adaptor for it, such is its age! What a nuisance.

I have sent a subscription request to do just that.

Meantime, in case anyone finds this (I really could do with getting it working asap!) and can make sense of it, I have been into my library and deleted the DecoderProConfig2.xml file, as per the instructions on the USA-based distributor. No change unfortunately.

This is not helpful to anyone on here. Either put what you put on the yahoo group or don't put anything.

Lighten up. There are SPROG users on RMWeb who may find this interesting and I was merely directing them to a more appropriate place. I don't want them to think they are being ignored.

Andrew

Archived