Signaling "Glenuig"

Hi

I am looking for some clarification on signaling for my West Highland layout ???Glenuig???.? 

I intend all arrivals and departures to use the platform road, and the rest of the movements controlled by shunting (ground) signals.

I would imagine that the starter signal would be somewhere at the end of the platform, the position marked ???A??? the clearance is tight here, but position ???B???would be ideal. Would all the points other then the ones marked ???Z???be under the control of the Box?.The positions that i think the ground signals should be are marked ???X???.

Looking forward to all your help.

Gary

post-7480-12630357917363_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Hi

I am looking for some clarification on signaling for my West Highland layout ???Glenuig???.????

I intend all arrivals and departures to use the platform road, and the rest of the movements controlled by shunting (ground) signals.

I would imagine that the starter signal would be somewhere at the end of the platform, the position marked ???A??? the clearance is tight here, but position ???B???would be ideal. Would all the points other then the ones marked ???Z???be under the control of the Box?.The positions that i think the ground signals should be are marked ???X???.

Looking forward to all your help.

Gary

post-7480-12630357917363_thumb.jpg

Tht's pretty good although that platform starting signal should be at 'A' - or somewhere opposite it but close enough to see easily from the platform.

Points Z would be worked by hand lever and not be connected to the 'box. The release crossover could be worked by a ground frame (released from the 'box either electrically or mechanically) and if that is the case no ground signals would be provided at that crossover; the one you have shown in the siding at teh release croossover point toe should in any case be omitted as it was rare to provide one in that position.

You should also include the Home Signal at, more or less, the toe of the first points as a train arrives but the exact form (apart from a single running arm to the platform) depends partly on era and partly on which of the Pre-Group Railways originally owned and signalled the line.

Trust that helps.

Thanks

The era is 70's/80,s diesels

I don't know how i missed the home signal off, there is room and it would make a nice feature. I have built a Steven lattice one for the starter, for the home i am thinking of a GW tubular post with a Westinghouse upper ? quadrant arm, here come the screams of a GW signal in Scotland, just look at the starter on the end of the platform art Mallaig during the 60's and 70's, was this the most westerly GW signal?? 

http://www.eastbank..../NBL/nb03.jpg? 

Gary? 

• RMweb Gold

Thanks

The era is 70's/80,s diesels

I don't know how i missed the home signal off, there is room and it would make a nice feature. I have built a Steven lattice one for the starter, for the home i am thinking of a GW tubular post with a Westinghouse upper ????quadrant arm, here come the screams of a GW signal in Scotland, just look at the starter on the end of the platform art Mallaig during the 60's and 70's, was this the most westerly GW signal?????

http://www.eastbank..../NBL/nb03.jpg????

Gary????

I understand that it was not the only Reading design (and presumably made) signal structure to be found on the Scottish Region and it definitely was not the only one at Mallaig - the Home and Advance Starter were also Reading design brackets.

The UQ arms were, as far as I know from looking at them, standard BR design as were all the fittings, the Reading element was just the main upright, bracket and dolls. Hopefully my picture below (taken Easter 1969) will help to show some details

post-6859-1263069821727_thumb.jpg

Archived