Eastbourne, the Sunshine Coast!

SouthernWay

Afternoon, I'm trying to help my father produce a model of Eastbourne where he worked as a driver until retirement a couple of years ago. He wants to model the late 40's too mid 50's and we need help.

I have been trying to find a good diagram of the whole complex from station to MPD but can't really and don't want to have to resort to buying one just yet.

I also need help with photos of the station and surrounding complex..........well any photos really would help!!!

Anyone out there who can point me in the right direction or has some good photos would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards

SouthernWay

Afternoon, I'm trying to help my father produce a model of Eastbourne where he worked as a driver until retirement a couple of years ago. He wants to model the late 40's too mid 50's and we need help.

I have been trying to find a good diagram of the whole complex from station to MPD but can't really and don't want to have to resort to buying one just yet.

I also need help with photos of the station and surrounding complex..........well any photos really would help!!!

Anyone out there who can point me in the right direction or has some good photos would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards

SouthernWay

Have you tried the Middleton press series? There are two relevant volumes: Brighton to Eastbourne and Eastbourne to Hastings.   

Best wishes

Eric

Hi Southernway,

Looks like an interesting plan.  I stayed with some friends in Eastbourne 2 years ago when visiting and the station frontage looked very nice as we travelled past.  I also remember reading an article about a crash between 2 steam engined pulled trains in 1960's in Steam World magazine.  so you could try Steam World and other mags

good luck with it.

Mark in Oz

There are lots of photos if you do a Google search, and an article on the Southern Modellers website http://www.semgonline.com/home.html

The later MPD was rather remote from the station itself - I hope your father has plenty of space.

Try the old-maps website - suitable coordinates are 561355 and 99886, with maps from 1960 showing plenty of detail.

Evening, I have both the Middleton press books and they offer limited track diagrams from when era need. But thank you.

I have looked at the crash article too, it doesn't give me much to work with unfortunately but thanks anyway.

The map website is a big help thank you, have already found some track diagrams on there that might help.

The space he has is about 60' in length so. Hopefully with a little bit of licence it should be enough.

• 3 months later...

I've recently scanned some of my Dad's old black & white prints which include quite a number at Eastbourne loco shed, as he lived in a house right next to Hampden Park Station & level crossing which was a short bycycle ride away to the shed and a few around the Station and yard itself. Here's the link to my Dad's web album I've uploaded, if you scroll down the photos you'll find the first starts with 80015 departing Eastbourne Station in 1958 and the last is of 44665 at Willingdon Junction in 64.

https://picasaweb.google.com/105454327852537837128/TheRogerHaggarCollection?authuser=0&feat=directlink

Archived