Cutting thick card

Hello chaps.

I am building a set of card C69 London Underground Subsurface stock from a Streetlevel Models kit.

I want to cut out the window frames,recess the doors and add internal detail, so I am going to laminate the cards with some thicker stuff to make it all a bit more rigid.

The question is, what is the best method of cutting though what will be around 2mm thick card ?

I don't think I can exert enough pressure on a standard craft knife without the blade deflecting and giving me a wonky cut, even with a hefty piece of steel as a guide rule.

Is there a better method of cutting and would a stanley knife with a more rigid blade work better ? I have a rotary paper cutter for the long cuts, so its just the windows and detailed bits I need to hand cut.

Many Thanks in advance !

I'd suggest multiple passes with a good, sharp scalpel blade;- don't try & cut right through in one go. Check the back of your card when nearly through;- you should see where you've been cutting as a raised line, if so, make a light cut from the back, too, as this will reduce ragging & tearing, particularly in the corners..

Hello chaps.

I am building a set of card C69 London Underground Subsurface stock from a Streetlevel Models kit.

I want to cut out the window frames,recess the doors and add internal detail, so I am going to laminate the cards with some thicker stuff to make it all a bit more rigid.

The question is, what is the best method of cutting though what will be around 2mm thick card ?

I don't think I can exert enough pressure on a standard craft knife without the blade deflecting and giving me a wonky cut, even with a hefty piece of steel as a guide rule.

Is there a better method of cutting and would a stanley knife with a more rigid blade work better ? I have a rotary paper cutter for the long cuts, so its just the windows and detailed bits I need to hand cut.

Many Thanks in advance !

A very sharp scalpel, and multiple light cuts, practice on some other card stock first, a Stanley knife will do, but the scalpel,(art shops sell them), will give the best cuts without the pressure. Same principle as Chefs knives, the sharper, the safer, as less pressure is needed.

Stephen.

I entirely agree with the three previous answers, having recently cut some thick card for a scratch build house. Take as many cuts as you need with steady even pressure. once you have made the initial score the blade will follow the same line again and again, providing you dont place to much pressure on the blade, then it might derail so to speaksmile.gif .

regards,

Shaun

Hmm, wood chisels... Might give that a go as I have a fair few and the means to hone them to a fine point.

Round ended or pointed scalpel blades ? I have plenty of both. I think I will start with the rounded ones as they minimise tearing.

Thanks so far.

Well, this is the result of much cutting, colouring and folding ! A C69 Driving motor.

The basis of the model is the printed sides, with the doors cut out and a layer of glazing, then 3 layers of card to give it some strength. The doors are treated the same way, as are the ends. I also added a bulkhead behind the cab and will detail the passenger compartment as well.

I need to tidy up the cab end to get rid of some pen marks and paint the edge and I am also going to paint the roof with a matt finish. The bottom looks a bit wonky as I have not built the floor yet. I need to decide the best way of doing this, but am thinking of digging out some old coaches and using them as a base. The under floor and simple bogie sides should be easy to construct out of plasticard. The coupling will be via solid bar, as per the prototype.

post-7023-12631456353205_thumb.jpg

Archived