Blog- Max Stafford's Blog - The tale of the J27 - brick wall syndrome...

RSS Fetcher

Well, after the unexpected success and critical acclaim of the NB J37, this project has become the 'difficult second album' <_< It's been one of those one step forward, two back sort of days in relation to this project. I did assemble the pick ups today but running on the rollers wasn't the way it should have been. With power clips applied to the motor terminals, everything was nice and smooth, just as you'd expect. Relying on the pick ups themselves was a very different story. The wheels would turn for a couple of revolutions then stall out, or give me intermittent stop-start running. I repeatedly checked the pickup wires themselves and all appeared to be in contact. I then re-soldered the motor leads but it didn't improve matters any. I have used the PCB supplied with the kit, split as the model has 6-wheel pickup. there are two separate PCBs linked with bus bars and all the collectors were formed with .45 wire. I used brass flux and standard structural solder for the job, much as I used for the J37.

Anyway, as I could feel frustration mounting I've set the model aside for now. I think I'll just rip the whole pickup rig out and start afresh with different PCB, wire, solder etc.

I think the best thing now will be to take a step back, I probably jumped in too soon after the euphoria of my last project. :rolleyes:

Dave.

View the full article

Archived