Recommended Transformers

sse

Apologies if this has been posted before, but search didn't come up with anything....

I'm looking for recommendations for transformers to drive my points. I'm using DCC (Dynamis) for locomotive control but will use conventional supply for points.

I have Seep point motors (with the accessory switch for switching the frogs) and a Gaugemaster CDU to drive these, I also have a couple of Masterswitch pluses for a couple of diamond crossings.

I think the CDU requires c. 18v AC whereas the Masterswitch + recommends 15v DC but can operate on AC I believe - anyone have any recommendations for a suitable transformer? I'm happy to make up my own casing etc. so a standalone transformer from the likes of Maplins would be fine.

Thanks

SSE

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Apologies if this has been posted before, but search didn't come up with anything....

I'm looking for recommendations for transformers to drive my points. I'm using DCC (Dynamis) for locomotive control but will use conventional supply for points.

I have Seep point motors (with the accessory switch for switching the frogs) and a Gaugemaster CDU to drive these, I also have a couple of Masterswitch pluses for a couple of diamond crossings.

I think the CDU requires c. 18v AC whereas the Masterswitch + recommends 15v DC but can operate on AC I believe - anyone have any recommendations for a suitable transformer? I'm happy to make up my own casing etc. so a standalone transformer from the likes of Maplins would be fine.

Thanks

SSE

The values quoted for transformers is the RMS value the peak value is higher. When used with a CDU it will actually charge higher so any transformer giving 15-16 v ac will be fine for the CDU. Gaugemaster sell suitable ones ( as do maplin and others).

DonW

My points all have MS V2s and MS+ where two points face each other. I've struggled to find a suitable power supply. Using the MS each motor needs 3 or 4 amps to throw reliably. This means two points together need 8 amps to throw them both. I've been looking for a power supply with 18V and 8A. I've tried a laptop supply but the circuit protection kept cutting in after more than 2 or 3 MS were wired up. I then bought a bench power supply which did the same thing. If the supply was switched on and then each MS was connected it would all work fine so the wiring is sound.

I bought a gaugemaster M2 18Vac but only 2.5 amps. It will throw one but not two and with all the MS wired into the circuit it can't cope and the motors just buzz. I've taken out the transformer and I'm waiting for a 18V 8A DC transformer to arrive and I can swap them over.

It is and thats per motor! For 2 motors to throw reliably at the same time every time, the supply needs 8 amps. Seeps are a pain to mount right but I've worked on all mine to get them as smooth as I can get and I've used some unused RC car gearbox grease to grease the cores for a smoother movement. I've got a few PECO PL10s with microswitches on top and these can be even worse for a smooth movement than PM1s. Its the switches that make the movement stiff (they are a rubbish design and a number of which have been DOA)

I've taken the transformer out a gaugemaster M2 (should have bought an M1 as its cheaper but I gambled that the transformer might cope (it doesn't!)

I've ordered a 18v 8a DC transformer

http://www.altai.co.uk/homepage.aspx?prod=P037GA&idcode=019000600020

And hopefully I can put this in the M2 box and finally have a suitable power supply. Sadly, this is my last attempt to get this right. Its driven me bonkers for a couple of months now.

I might be getting the wrong end of the stick here, but here goes...

If you're using a CDU then I don't think using a higher rated transformer will help.

A bigger transformer will charge the capacitors more quickly after firing and minimise any slow down of any trains running on the same transformer whilst the capacitors are charging, but the size of the kick given to the point motors is governed by the size of the capacitors in the CDU and the voltage used to charge it. Using AC as input for the CDU is better as (I think) it should charge to the peak voltage, which is about 1.4 x the average voltage.

My Peco CDU came with 1800uF capacitance which turned out to be insufficient, whereas a Gaugemaster one that I've seen has a much heavier duty 4400uF.

Can you see what size the capacitors are in your CDU?

Is the Masterswitch not a CDU? I'd always thought it was, but looking at their website it doesn't actually say that it works by discharging a capacitor, although capacitors are visible on board. If you have to supply the full turnout motor operating current to the Masterswitch, it's less useful than I supposed!

The MS have made wiring easier for my points/control panel and signals, but the big problem has been power.

I am Ed - To be honest, I don't know. I show my ignorance by not realising transformers are AC only - however thinking about no they can't be without rectification.

Anyway, the masterswitch will work with DC or AC so I should be OK just hooking up the new transformer in the same way as the transformer in the M2 case.

If my next post is from a laptop in a hotel room, you know things have not gone well and I've burnt my house to the ground! :)

Archived