N gauge compact

RST

Hi, new member but I've been collecting N gauge locos for a little while.  Every attempt I make at baseboards ends up as firewood so I subscribed to free edition of anyrail and have been trying to set something I want first which seems to work a little better.  I have very little room and it must pack away.

I'm mostly interested in 50-late 60's. but interested in early Blue era also as opens up a bit of a transition from green to blue.

Is my track plan in anyrail even feasible? I would use Kato unitrack and get these boards built proper this time.  This idea is for a terminus with a loop down below for passing trains.  I set the line on the RHS as -38 to pass under, it would only ever be run clockwise.  Also, can Farish diesel / coach stock even run on 6" curves???? (no steam).

mainline.jpg

With the above plan I can fit in 3 coaches plus diesel loco or 108 full 3 car DMU etc.  Am I being too hopeful from the above track plan -I know I won't get realistic curves!!!!

Cheers,

Rich

9" is the absolute minimum - equivalent to 1st radius setrack. A lot of more recent models are likely to complain about going round curves this tight, or will not go round at all. You are better to have 2nd radius setrack (10 3/8") as a minimum.

If you have the room, consider using a ready-made flush door from Wickes, B&Q, Jewson or similar. It will cost you around £20, no carpentry needed. They're available in 6'6" by either 2'6", 2'9" or 3'0" sizes. You'll then be able to ease the curves considerably. Pete.

Archived