Renaming Prince Albert D11

I want to rename my D11 to either Ypres or Mons.  However, both names are significantly shorter than Prince Albert. If I remove the Prince Albert nameplate, does anyone know if the single silver lining line will still be there so that when the shorter nameplate is put on there will not be a gap in the lining that I will have to fill in by hand or whatever.  To remove the nameplate I plan on using T-cut or aircraft plexiglass cleaner.  FYI, the model will be lightly weathered.

I think you will find the lining line will not be left! This should be raised brass beading, whereas Bachmann have printed it as a silver highlight. Careful removing of the name, plus masking and a steady hand, should help you restore/add missing "beading"

Cheers,

Peter C.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Theakerr

I assume you are wanting to model Ypres or Mons in late '50s condition when they were at Darnall Shed 41A. Prince Albert AFAIK was unique in having the splasher beading lined out in this way, several of the D11s retained mixed traffic lining on tender, cabside, splashers & running plate edge (without lining on the boiler bands), however the splasher lining was applied inside the beading not on it, Mons was one of these locos. Others including Butler Henderson lost their lining during works visits circa 1957. Having searched through photographic evidence for my own purposes Ypres is the only D11 I cannot be certain about. This pic shows Ypres at Darnall in very dirty condition, but because the BR emblem can hardly be seen, neither would any lining be evident.

http://www.railbrit.co.uk/imageenlarge/imagecomplete.php?id=28653

Your options seem to be:- for Mons remove the splasher lining completely and apply mixed traffic lining, or do the same for Ypres with no lining and apply heavy weathering. The lack of splasher beading is a small problem in both cases.

Hope this is of assistance & good luck

Phil

Archived