On30 Tram Layouts?

I've obtained a few of the Bachmann On30 Trolley/Streetcar/Tramcar models for a ridiculously good price (sorry, no more left!)

Of course, now that I've made that impulse buy, I'm stuck for ideas for a suitable layout. I had originally envisaged a street-scene of some sort, perhaps with a tram depot.

I've also thought about obtaining one of the Bachmann porter locomotives and cannibalising it with the streetcar to create an approximation of a 30" gauge Baldwin Tram Motor. We had about 122 standard gauge versions running Sydney Tramways in the 1890s, so I would call such a model "semi-freelanced"

Any ideas for a transitional steam/electric tram layout?

Martin, rather than a freelanced, NSWGT-inspired 30" layout, why not a 30" gauge tramway with both steam and electric trams based on a prototype? One where the steam trams were built by Porter:

5260037773_9332be9466_z.jpg

and the electric cars were reasonably similar to the Bachmann model:

yok_21_iseshinbun.jpg yok_21.jpg

All the best,

Mark.

• 2 weeks later...

It finally hit me that the Bachmann On30 "Enclosed Streetcar" is extremely similar to a Sydney C class Tramcar. I'll be working on converting these narrow-gauge trams into standard gauge trams. (Wait, doesn't this usually happen the other way around?)

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/75055-near-enough-o-scale-sydney-trams/

• RMweb Premium

On holiday in Belgium & visited Liege public transport museum today, great display of mainly Belgian NG trams, inc a Vicinal diesel railcar

Photos to follow on return, maybe a bit off this thread but great trams, even if all static.

Archived