Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

On30 Tram Layouts?

I've obtained a few of the Bachmann On30 Trolley/Streetcar/Tramcar models for a ridiculously good price (sorry, no more left!)

Of course, now that I've made that impulse buy, I'm stuck for ideas for a suitable layout. I had originally envisaged a street-scene of some sort, perhaps with a tram depot.

I've also thought about obtaining one of the Bachmann porter locomotives and cannibalising it with the streetcar to create an approximation of a 30" gauge Baldwin Tram Motor. We had about 122 standard gauge versions running Sydney Tramways in the 1890s, so I would call such a model "semi-freelanced"

Any ideas for a transitional steam/electric tram layout?

Martin, rather than a freelanced, NSWGT-inspired 30" layout, why not a 30" gauge tramway with both steam and electric trams based on a prototype? One where the steam trams were built by Porter:

5260037773_9332be9466_z.jpg

and the electric cars were reasonably similar to the Bachmann model:

yok_21_iseshinbun.jpg yok_21.jpg

All the best,

Mark.

• 2 weeks later...

It finally hit me that the Bachmann On30 "Enclosed Streetcar" is extremely similar to a Sydney C class Tramcar. I'll be working on converting these narrow-gauge trams into standard gauge trams. (Wait, doesn't this usually happen the other way around?)

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/75055-near-enough-o-scale-sydney-trams/

• RMweb Premium

On holiday in Belgium & visited Liege public transport museum today, great display of mainly Belgian NG trams, inc a Vicinal diesel railcar

Photos to follow on return, maybe a bit off this thread but great trams, even if all static.

Archived