Bachmann 37 'No Lights'

Dunmar

Hi,

I have a Bachmann CL37 (Blue) which was not fitted with lights. I intend to fit a sound decoder to this loco but also wanted to fit white LED's only. I understand that they must be fitted with a resistor - something that I had done several times before with my DC fleet. However I'm not so sure about wiring them up to DCC  :no: !

Has anyone done this before? Could someone point me in the right direction please!

Bill.

Hi,

I have a Bachmann CL37 (Blue) which was not fitted with lights. I intend to fit a sound decoder to this loco but also wanted to fit white LED's only. I understand that they must be fitted with a resistor - something that I had done several times before with my DC fleet. However I'm not so sure about wiring them up to DCC  :no: !

Has anyone done this before? Could someone point me in the right direction please!

Bill.

Hi Bill

Very basically, a resistor will be required, preferably one for each function output,  a commonly used value is 1K ohm, wired between the function - neg output of the decoder, the other side going to the the decoder positive common. 

As the Bach model is not fitted with lights, I assume it has an 8 pin main circuit board ? Centre or Split box version ?   You mention fitting white lights only, will this be markers and headlights at each end = 6 LEDS  ? Which decoder do you plan to use?

Probably the easiest option for you, would be to purchase a suitable Express Models lighting kit for the model, this comes with made up circuits ready to fit, and instructions for wiring it all up. 

www.expressmodels.co.uk

EDIT: If it's a Centre Box version ?  - I may have a suitable surplus Express Models DCC Lighting Kit 

HTH

Ken

Hi Ken,

Thanks for your reply - I was beginning to lose faith :beee: ! I only want to use headlights on what is a 'Split headcode' version. I intend to fit a Zimo decoder in due course. I had a look at Express Models website and didn't see this version listed - maybe I should give them a call - sounds like the easiest option.

Cheers, Bill.

Hi Ken,

Thanks for your reply - I was beginning to lose faith :beee: ! I only want to use headlights on what is a 'Split headcode' version. I intend to fit a Zimo decoder in due course. I had a look at Express Models website and didn't see this version listed - maybe I should give them a call - sounds like the easiest option.

Cheers, Bill.

Hi Bill

If it's only headlights (markers) you require, it's fairly easy to make up the circuits using led's/resistors and some vero board. I've attached a couple of photos of an early split box Bach 37 I modified some time back. I removed the buffer cowls, repainted and detailed it, and fitted with marker/tail and cab lights. The boxes had to be changed from the originals to represent the later domino style, then drilled to suit the dia of the Led's being used, in my case ex BT 2.4mm dia ones.  

In your case, for marker lights only, cut the white/yellow and blue wires ONLY off the top of the 8 pin plug. Then connect the white wire via a 1K resistor to the white wire for the fan end circuit board. Connect the yellow wire to the yellow wire via a 1K resistor for the other end circuit board . Finally connect all (3) blue wires together and insulate. This should give you directional lighting on F0. The in-line resistors are very important, if you don't include them the LED's will blow immediately you switch the power on.

HTH

Regards

Ken

post-2215-0-74641800-1376323448_thumb.jpg

post-2215-0-59392200-1376323467_thumb.jpg

Archived