Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

This may sound like a silly question, but before I fix down the roof to my engine shed I would like to find out, presumably they had buffer stops, so would they be the same as the ones seen on sidings etc? Or would they be some sort of solid construction? If anyone has information please tell me, I am quite eager to know 

post-19738-0-22010700-1376056983_thumb.jpg

it's not finished 'till I know :this:

• RMweb Gold

Many sheds simply had wheelstops - small more or less triangular shaped pieces of metal bolted to the inside of the rails.  Buffer stops took up far too much space.

If you look carefully behind the rear wheels of this 41XX in Taunton shed you can see the wheelstop - which someone has very conveniently whitewashed.  Click on the picture to enlarge it -

post-6859-0-36869200-1376058217_thumb.jpg

No - no buffer stops

at the ends of the rails were a curved piece of rail to act as a wheel chock or nothing at all

Check out the photo taken at Barrow Hill Engine Shed

attachicon.gif2007 08 11 Barrow Hill 011.JPG

Just a thought why fix the roof on just in case you need to rescue something

Ok thank you, I didn't think they did, but then I started having second thoughts, so I thought it would be best to check; I would leave it but it will sit better once it is stuck down, and all the trains are accessible should they fall off, but thanks again  

Ok thank you, I didn't think they did, but then I started having second thoughts, so I thought it would be best to check; I would leave it but it will sit better once it is stuck down, and all the trains are accessible should they fall off, but thanks again  

No worries just noticed though your shed is a little smaller than mine I have a fixed roof but the whole building is placed in such a way that it is located on four cocktail sticks built into the walls and locating snuggly into four holes and the lighting circuit has enough loose wire under the board to lift it around a foot away 

IF anyone has any questions I can answer I usually dig out a photo as it's much easier (IF I have one that is) to demonstrate

Archived