Re-gauging Bachmann loco chassis

I would be very grateful for any advice or guidance on how to re-gauge a Bachmann 0-6-0 loco chassis from '00' gauge to 'EM' gauge please. as I have never done this before.

I normally build my own chassis but I have come across a Bachmann loco that I can use if it can be re-gauged.

Many thanks

Mikeandnel

Which chassis is it? There are two main routes to EM, either replace the wheels or pull them partly off the axles. Ultrascale may have replacement sets, those would be easy to install, just remove the old ones and put in the new ones. But they're expensive and take months to arrive as they are made to order. You could also look at Alan Gibson, they do a lot of replacement wheel sets on the correct diameter axles, but they require quartering. The third method is to simply use what's there and pull the wheels apart a bit. It may work, I've seen it done successfully, but the axles may be too short and if it's an older chassis the flanges may be too big.

Hello Gareth

I was beginning to think that no-one was going to reply so thanks for your input.

I have always either kit or scratch built my locos but Bachmann are soon to bring

out an LBSCR E4 class loco and as I am getting older and the quality of R-T-R

models is improving, I thought I would order one and re-gauge it.

So any advice on how this could be done is more than welcome

Michael

if its any help I have regauged a Bachmann Jinty chassis simply by easing the wheels out to the correct btB for EM gaugeI have done the same with a Hornby Lord of the isles and a T9 care needed adjusting the pick ups however and the whole thing should be done slowly and carefully, with older chassis I doubt its that straightforward as flanges are huge on older models.i am about to do the same to a Hornby M7,although for the prototype i'm after I may change the wheels using Markits rP25' profile wheels( different diameter needed) . I seriously doubt that the same thing can be done with split collection chassis. i any case the moulded brake gear needs trimming thinning or even replacing. I waited ages for an ultrascale drop in set for a pug,brilliant when they arrived!

good luck

robert

A wheel puller is the tool you want. NWSL make good ones, not sure how available they are in the UK though. The problem is finding one small and delicate enough. They are commonly used in the automotive world for removing bearings and such. GW make one as well. Check out this thread: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/47248-wheel-puller/

Gareth

Thanks for the tips. The GW puller seems to be the most readily available, but I am going to try the twisted screwdriver method first when I get the loco, even if just to save money.

As you know this loco may be a one-off as I normally build my own

Regards

Michael

Instead of a puller,  I widen the gauge by tapping in the axle using a suitable drift (e.g. smaller diameter axle)

post-19820-0-67356500-1376750722.jpg

The wheel is supported on a slotted plate,  in my case resting across the jaws of my bench vice.  Then I use a light hammer to tap in the axle, checking the back to back as I go

Mike

Many thanks. Your suggestion is perhaps a better way to try re-gauging providing my arm is not in

sledgehammer mode!.

As I have never done this before, am I to understand that Bachmann wheels are fitted on splined axles?

Best regards

Michael

• 2 weeks later...

For Robert and Gareth

Thanks for the advice but what tool would you recommend for pulling the wheels further out on their axles?

Michael

I basically use the same method as Mike but put the wheel on my vice wit the axle just touching the faces on each side. then drift as Mike. Final stage is to press the wheels in with a Btb gauge in the way.. This does need the wheelsets removed from the chassis

Archived