Respirator recommendations

I've recently bought myself a compressor, so I'll be spraying a lot more. One thing I'd obviously like to buy is a respirator, but it also appears to be one thing that actually quite difficult to pin down.

Ideally I'd like something that's not too bulky, with replaceable filters, and obviously rated for spray fumes. However all I can seem to find are expensive "Maintenance Free" (I.e. 28-day disposable) ones, which seems like an expensive and unnecessary way to do things. So, dear RMWebbers, can anyone recommend me a respirator?

You could try reading the information on respirators on the HSE Website.  Amongst others this page will give you some gen. http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/guidance/rseries.htm Remember HSE information is mostly free and contains things which have taken many years to accumulate.

.It will give you some poiters as to what specification you should be thinking of.

There are 2 things you should consider

1. Particulates, and

2. Vapours, even water-borne coatings will have some vapour other than water-vapour. And of course solvent bornes will have their sometimes nasty organic solvents.

None of these will be good for your lungs

Jerry

Thanks for the replies so far, but the problem isn't so much finding places to buy them (although recommendations for specific models are welcome!), or knowing what class of filters to buy: what I'm specifically looking for are some personal recommendations from others; what's good, what's bad, what types people prefer etc. Preferably ones that fit my criteria, although if people are convinced by other types I'd be interested in any recommendations.

All depends what paint you are using-refer to post 3. Speak to a supplier, they should be able to advise. I use an ages old mask and an extractor fan- both certainly now obsolete.

Steve

So lets assume it's the standard modelling paint pretty much anyone would come across: Acrylics and Enamels. As far as I'm aware any mask with filters rated for P2 particulates and organic vapours would be suitable for the above, or a mask with inter-changable filters would be even better. The problem is I'd like some recommendations from people about which mask(s) meet those criteria; which is kind of why I'm asking.

I use an Expo AB110, widely available, including eBay, for around £5 to £6. Has a single replaceable filter. No idea what standards it meets, it's sold as suitable for airbrushing and aerosol use. It suits me, comfortable enough, but I only airbrush once a week on average.

Hi,

I use a blackrock twin respirator. These are about £24 and use 2 filters which as a replacement are £14 a pair. These are used for high volume usage to EN141 standards. I usually get a pair of filters about once or twice a year or when the filter is discoloured. They can be bought online or at automotive paint stores. Hope this helps.

Regards

Vin

Archived