FYNR Manning wardle

welsh wizard

Does anyone know if the Ixion loco is anywhere near the FYNR Loco Medina  ,I have only seen very poor pictures of it in Southern days ,and what livery would it have been painted originally? just daydreaming of doing a small shunting layout with the loco. ..merv from a sunny S Wales coast...

This  loco  was  a  Q  class  Manning  Wardle  which  is  a  moderate  sized  0-6-0T,  I  dont  know  of  any   7mm  models/kits  for  a  Q

Agenoria  models  do  a  later  modified  Q   class although  this  has  many  differences. 

Isnt  the  Ixion  model  a  small  0-4-0T  H  class  or  do  they  do  another?

A  much  better  visual  match  would  be  the  Ixion  Hudswell  Clerk  0-6-0T  contractors  tank  though  this  to  is  a  smaller  engine.

Medina  when  FYN  number 1  was  a  bright  green  (exact  shade  unknown),  later  under  the  Southern  Railway  it  was  standard Olive  Green

Pete

Looking at the drawings on the Ixion website I would say their Hudswell Clarke loco is a very good match for the FYN Manning Wardle. (They don't do a Manning Wardle of any sort yet)  A rough check on its wheelbase and boiler seemed to suggest a good agreement, including the slight inequality between front and rear wheel spacing.  The only difference would seem to be the HC has a larger bunker in front of the cab, leaving only a small gap to the rear of the saddle tank, whereas the MW has a definite space there.  The Q type MW was a far more brutish design compared with the elegant, smaller and older K and I types, (Medina was built in 1902)and had much in common with the HC style.

According to Bradley in the RCTS book on the Island's locos, No 1 was emerald green with black bands and fine white lining.

Hi, stumbled across this thread shortly before I went to visit the Severn Valley Railway so had a look at the second hand books at Hampton Loade (in a Fruit D van) and found a book from 1967 by P C Allen and A B McLeod - Rails in the Isle of Wight, pub Geo Allen and Unwin but too old for an ISBN.

There is a coloured frontispiece of a painting by Hamilton Ellis entitled Newport Station 1923, one of the three engines included is FYN No 1 in it's green livery (broadly similar to the Ixion one)- apart from bulk I would say that the general outline of the Ixion Hudswell Clarke is very similar, maybe the saddle tank is a little flatter sided and FYN 1 has sandboxes on the footplate at each corner of the buffer beam plus a Westinghouse pump towards the front of the left hand tank side. The cab cutout may be slightly different and, as mentioned the cab side sheets should have a gap between them and the saddle tank.

There's a copy of the painting on the BBC pictures website - http://ichef.bbci.co.uk/arts/yourpaintings/images/paintings/mirh/large/hmps_mirh_3_large.jpg

Plate 30 is a LHS side view with quite good detail for the age of the photo.

A paragraph in the book tells that "the Freshwater line had to conjure up some motive power in a hurry in 1913 - with a Solent tunnel a possibility, .... the Great Central were taking an interest here - laid hands on two 0-6-0 tanks and some 4 wheeled coaches from the Manchester, South Junction and Altrincham Railway. No 1 of the FYN was a tough little Manning Wardle engine used on constructing the GW & GC joint line from Northolt to High Wycombe ..... it had the distinction of being the latest built of all the engines to run on the Island and the only one built in the 20th Century. No 1 lasted for quite a few years of the Southern regime"

I've looked at the Ixion loco several times but could never find an excuse for it - maybe this is my chance!

Regards

SandyBrook

Archived