Modelling on the edge

Ray H

• RMweb Premium

I'm sure that I'm not alone in (initially at least) designing a layout plan where the tracks run parallel and fairly close to the edge of the baseboard.

I'd welcome observations from those that have done it and succeeded (and those that tried it and didn't)!

I have a 7' by 7'6" space (and the 6" is already encroaching where perhaps it shouldn't)! The station is along the bottom (7'6") side and the fiddle yard on the other. A single track running line links the two on each side of the layout as shown in the diagram below.

post-10059-0-56456200-1376471664.gif

Both single track running lines run close to the baseboard edge. The outside sleeper end on the right hand side is 25mm from the outer baseboard edge and it's 40mm on the left hand side. I'm already down to 3rd radius curves on the "corners" to get everything to fit without points overlapping baseboard joins. I would lose a coach off of passenger trains and at least one wagon off freight trains if I move the running lines in from the baseboard edges.

The running line on the left hand side runs across the front of a window (and the front of the window sill ledge, which it only just clears). My original thought was to have both running lines outside the scenic area (which is across the bottom of the plan and measures 7'6" by 18"). However, I have latterly been thinking of incorporating some scenery on the left hand side (4' long) board but the window ledge effectively protrudes 25mm from the wall and leaves the outside of the track just 15mm from it.

Scenery on the right hand side could be complicated by the intention to incorporate an access lifting flap. I'm not adverse to limiting the "opening" to about 30" which leaves me an 18" length to add to the scenic section. Here there is scope for width adjustment and I may be able to add a couple of inches to both the length of the station board and the width of the scenic section on the right hand side of the layout but the track on the access flap has to remain within 25mm of the flap edge (with that edge suitably protected to stop stock falling off).

Edited to correct a spelling mistake (why do you always spot them a fraction of a second after pressing the post button?)

Archived