Bachmann MK1 Sleepers - Correcting the roof error

The new Bachmann MK1 Sleeper is a super coach, but unfortunately, on some of them, the wrong type of roof has been fitted. Both Blue/Grey SLSTP + SLF versions have the longer ducting on the roof, whereas both Maroon SLSTP + SLF have the shorter ducting. Swapping over the rooves on a Maroon SLSTP with a Blue/Grey SLF will result in both coaches being correct.

However, the roof colours are different, and using the lighter Maroon coach roof on the Blue/Grey model, for me looked a bit odd.  As they are separate parts, once removed it's easy enough to repaint them in the correct colours, prior to refitting them. Any slight colour variation with other coaches being "lost" with a bit of weathering etc.

The chassis is a very tight fit, sliding thin pieces of card between the chassis and the body will release the securing clips. The roof can then be removed by very carefully prising the clips open to release it. The main problem I had was removing the filler pipe ends from the coach ends - as they were glued in solid. Eventually with a lot of cursing etc they finally came out, a small end of one pipe actually broke off, before the glue let-go !

Prior to painting, there is a small hole to be filled on one roof, and a new hole to drilled on the other. see photo.  When placed side be side - it becomes noticeable that the roof vents are also slightly different.

Paint shop next. More to follow shortly

post-2215-0-05721800-1376583134_thumb.jpg

post-2215-0-51286400-1376583162_thumb.jpg

DSC00107_edited-2_zps184f4666.jpg

DSC00109_edited-2_zps16c86491.jpg

DSC00119_edited-1_zpsa766d7e8.jpg

A mixture of Railmatch and Humbrol enamels were used to re-paint the roofs.

RM 310 with a little RM 412 mixed in for the Blue/Grey roof.  I considered using RM 313 for the Maroon coach roof, but found it was much lighter than the original Bachmann shade, so I mixed up a Grey that was a closer match, using some Humbrol enamels.

Finished with Humbrol 135 Satin enamel varnish - which I may add, sprays beautifully, through my long time favoured,and much used over the years Badger 200.

Next up - some SLC conversions - good inspiration coming from BK's posts in the Bachmann thread.

Ken

The new Bachmann MK1 Sleeper is a super coach, but unfortunately, on some of them, the wrong type of roof has been fitted. Both Blue/Grey SLSTP + SLF versions have the longer ducting on the roof, whereas both Maroon SLSTP + SLF have the shorter ducting. Swapping over the rooves on a Maroon SLSTP with a Blue/Grey SLF will result in both coaches being correct.

Hello.

Perhaps a silly question, but has anybody told Bachmann this? As it appears that putting roof X on body Y produces the correct coach then this is something that could be rectified at the manufacturing stage.

David.

Hi Ken,

Sorry, i didn't realize that we had parallel threads, i've only just found this. Your conversions and roof colours are looking good, i would have done the same if i had more time, but then the roof shades did tend to vary anyway, so it's not an urgent priority for me. I retrospectively solved the blue under the roof end snag, with a quick application of black! I have informed Bachmann of the roof problem on two of their releases.

Cheers, Brian.

Hi Ken,

Sorry, i didn't realize that we had parallel threads, i've only just found this. Your conversions and roof colours are looking good, i would have done the same if i had more time, but then the roof shades did tend to vary anyway, so it's not an urgent priority for me. I retrospectively solved the blue under the roof end snag, with a quick application of black! I have informed Bachmann of the roof problem on two of their releases.

Cheers, Brian.

Hi Brian

Something shared - is something gained !  It proved an ideal small project to get the airbrush out and dusted off, having been "lost" in the world of DCC/CV's recently. Hopefully Bachmann will get the roofs correct on their next batch. Once I get some more suitable models, some SLC's are planned. As I mainly model the BR Blue era, any Maroon coaches used in conversions will probably get sold on at some point.

Regards

Ken

Archived