Small passenger and freight line.

nest

• RMweb Gold

Hi everyone

So, two friends (including member Windhawk) and I are starting a new joint effort on a new layout. The idea of the layout is to bring together our joint interests and to give us something to do until one of the three of us goes off to university in September. The other two of us will be taking gap years so will be able to carry on.

Anyway, the layout will show a small passenger branch running into a rather rundown terminus that has certainly seen better days. At the terminus, a freight only branch meets the passenger line. The freight line runs along to a small dockside. This freight branch will allow us to model a particularly rundown and forgotten route. This came about from watching a very good 30 minute programme on the BBC website about industrial railways. If you haven't already, go look it up and watch it!

The aim is to have the layout portable so as to take to exhibitions. The layout is a slight S shape (measurements to follow once I've got the tape measure out) and will be 00. The other catalyst for building the layout is that we were recently given baseboards by another member of the club we all belong to (Brighton MRC) so we had no excuse not to actually start building anymore. Legs are still needed a fair bit of reshaping here and there on the boards themselves.

Pictures and more information to follow as and when they become available so stay tuned.  

Nestor

• RMweb Gold

Hi everyone

Well here are the first images. Unfortunately they have not come out too well, I'll try to get some more later today. They show our initial testing of the track plan. Also, apologies for the clutter.

The first two show the station area.

post-12048-0-12287500-1377097951_thumb.jpg

post-12048-0-21145400-1377097956_thumb.jpg

The dockside (we are likely to extend the boards a little. This also shows where the fiddle yard will be placed with a back scene to hide it, yet to be built.

post-12048-0-34164900-1377097960_thumb.jpg

And finally, the middle section where the Dock line meets the passenger line

post-12048-0-81867800-1377097964_thumb.jpg

We are next meeting next week as two of us are going away for a few days but when we return we'll report on our progress. This will hopefully include news on legs for the layout and some actual tracklaying!

Thanks

Nestor

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi everyone

Sorry for the slow updates on this but you know, four students and all that :no:

Anyway, we've decided on an alteration to the track plan which essentially increases the operation interest by adding another industry. This means that there are now three focusses on the layout: 

1) Small passenger terminus

2) Dockside (however this may change to factory or other warehousy thing as it's still under discussion) 

3) New industry, it is likely to be a parcels dock with a couple of wagon sidings as seen in the photos.

The photos show the new layout. Yesterday we started marking out the points ready for wiring. Exciting much?  :sungum:

post-12048-0-81728900-1378468731_thumb.jpg

Dockside

post-12048-0-69084500-1378468736_thumb.jpg

Passenger station (at rear)

post-12048-0-72166400-1378468741_thumb.jpg

New industry

post-12048-0-67954100-1378468746_thumb.jpg

Bye for now

Nestor

• RMweb Gold

Hi everyone

Progress! We now have the first bit of track pinned down. This covers the first of three boards.

As can be seen in the photos, the track is all coming from previous layouts of mine so as to save money. A lot of it is therefore already painted and detailed in various ways.

post-12048-0-96977700-1378895771_thumb.jpg

We hope to get the track down on the next two boards over the weekend and through next week.

Nestor

• 9 months later...

Just discovered this little gem Nest which I note from the pictures feature "diesels", did you ever get round to finishing this or did you move on to other layouts?

Simon

• RMweb Gold

oooo crikey

This tiny little thing is still sitting in my room propped up against a wall. There has actually been a little progress which I'll post photos of perhaps tomorrow.

Because it's being built with two other people (both of whom are members on here) it's very much dependent on when they are around.

I'll try to remember to post some photos tomorrow

Nestor (forgetful of Brighton) 

• RMweb Gold

Well here it is, in all it's slightly forgotten glory...

post-12048-0-40640200-1404646969_thumb.jpg

Having now been reminded of it, I might try to get some work on it done. One of the other builders is coming round at some point this week so we may well have a crack at some more scenic.

More to follow...

Nestor

Archived