Parcel Train formation help required

Earl Bathurst

I want to have a decent parcel train on the layout but im not to sure about the restrictions if any apply to parcel trains. I am after the type of formation and wagons I would see on a western/ southern region parcels. The period im modelling is about 1950-1965. I have a few Guv wagons and also some full brakes would these have been used in the formation and if so would there have only been the 1 full brake? As for motive power on the main line what would you be likely to see on a typical parcels?

Hope someone can help

Scott

1950 - 1965 is a very wide period, within which things changed quite a bit!  For starters, BR standard vehicles began to appear - BGs from the mid 50s, GUVs a bit later.  On the Western the mainstay of parcels throughout was the Siphon G.  There were still some of the outside framed type running into the 60s and the inside framed type were still being built in 1955.  The Western was very fond of branding vans for particular workings too with inscriptions such as "Parcels Train Brake Van" on most BGs - but not BR standard ones unless anyone knows differently! - and the places between which they were supposed to work.  THe instructions issued to staff did not always specify a particular van or even type of van. For example, the van which ran from Paddington to Kingsbridge and back each day could have been anything becuse all that the instructions said was "Van"!  Sometimes a "large" van would be specified, or a gas heated brake.  Vans for .carrying newpapers tended to be dedicated to that task because they had trestle tables inside so that staff could make up the packages en route.

How many full brakes - depends on the origin and destination of the van.  Vehicles were often attached or detached en route.  Motive power - usually a decent tender loco but not always.  Out of Paddington a 14xx and two vans was not unknown when the diesel parcels car was not available.

Above all most vans were FILTHY, to the extent that it was often very difficult to make out what colour paint lay beneath the crud.

You know what's coming now, don't you?  Look at as many photographs as you can.  The thread to which TheSignalEngineer has posted a link is a very good starting point. The other thing well worth doing is to study some of the carriage working programmes in the dropbox on Robert Carroll's BR coaching stock Yahoo group.

Chris

Archived