Black and White photographic memories?

jcredfer

A few Pints ago, I went to Longmoor Military Railway, for a 2 week Course on Railway Operating.

I have been fortunate to pick up one of the new Class 08 LMR versions, recently put out by Bachmann  …..    :senile:

The thing is   …..   I don't remember trains being in the Roal Blue livery the Bachmann arrived in  …..  my memory says they were Black   ……    has my memory changed to imitate photographs of the time and converted Royal Blue to B/W   …….      :scratchhead: ..   :O

Maybe soot has a role to play, but I can't imagine anything RE being so covered in soot that the colour was obliterated. [Remembering that those were the days of Whitewashed Coal    ……….      :declare: ]

Are there any ex Longmoor Staff, who can put a colour on the trains, stabled there in Mid 1962   ……   ??

[NB.  There are quite a few photographs of the Royal Blue livery, but I can only find them of somewhat later than 62.]

Thanks for your time and the strain on some Grey, oops Brain Cells out there.

J

Thank you raymw,

There are a few pieces this chap has posted. He is writing about 63, so my assumption was that the Royal Blue was there a year before.  This is the nearest I have for an answer, as yet   …..    it just doesn't fit the memory    …….    or the memory doesn't fit the facts  ……….     :declare:    ……..   not the best of thoughts, since longer term memory is supposed to be better than yesterday's at my tender age  …..

I wonder if his piece is entirely accurate 'though, as he refers to Kitchener going for a new Oil-Burner [63] - but I remember driving it on the [62] Course and it was Oil-Burner then. I think it could be a refit, but that isn't very clear in his script.

There are a good number of contributors from various regions  ………  LMR might have a contributor too  ……… ?   :dontknow:

J

Dear 10800,

It would be helpful if you made your title a bit more specific?

I am sorry you found the title confusing, that was not the intention.

It seemed to me that there might be a few others whose memories might be more accurate than the, majority, B/W photographs, which were also reflected in the memories [although a few later photographs were in colour, as posted]

I had considered that the initial post was clear in the connection between B/W photographs and perceived memory, which may have been changed due to the many B/w photographs available, compared to the few colour ones.

Hope all is now clearer, that "Black and White photographic memories?" is simply a word play, combining the [probably inaccurate] memories, with photographs lacking in the probable colour,

I am, hoping that there may be one or more of the many personnel, who were there in 62, might possibly read this and be able to clarify the colours as in 62.

J

I have found out today that there were at least 2 colour schemes used by the Army - 1. Longmoor Military Railway colour blue.  2.  War Department Green.

There are examples of both here  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_preserved_Hunslet_Austerity_0-6-0ST_locomotives

The Green wouldn't be out of touch with memories of the 1962 Course, which opens up a combined question.  1. Were the LMR trains Blue in 1962? + 2. Were there also WD Green painted locos there as well?

J

Thanks, Sigs Eng,

I knew there should be a number of posters who had been there at one time or another.

That certainly adds credence to the mixed colour palette thought.  I wonder if there hadn't been a gradual change to the colours, as opportunity became available. 

Hopefully there will be others who might remember too.

J

I went on the last open day before closure. It seems that the 'genuine' Longmoor stock was blue. However some preserved stock had been moved to site, in anticipation of developing a steam preservation centre (which was later not to happen).

The preserved locos included genuine ex-BR locos (such as Bulleid pacifics) & David Shepherd's 9F and 4MT, in working BR colours including green. There were also preserved industrials, also in green, not to be confused with actual WD locos in green livery.

Stewart

• RMweb Gold

I went on the last open day before closure. It seems that the 'genuine' Longmoor stock was blue. However some preserved stock had been moved to site, in anticipation of developing a steam preservation centre (which was later not to happen).

The preserved locos included genuine ex-BR locos (such as Bulleid pacifics) & David Shepherd's 9F and 4MT, in working BR colours including green. There were also preserved industrials, also in green, not to be confused with actual WD locos in green livery.

Stewart

Sorry to hijack the thread, but my photos show the 9F, 41298, 75029 and 35028 outside the shed, but in the gloom on one there appears to be a loco in the shed with what looks like a Spamcam-type "Southern" ring on the front. Any ideas?

PS, think it was the same day you were there, wonder if you are on any of my shots?

Eric

From memory only, there was only one unrebuilt saved at that time, think it went to the Bluebell after. I haven't really got the time to look right now (sorry) but try searching on the following site, if you get to each loco it usually gives you allocation history.

http://www.uklocos.com/preservedrailwaystocklist/

Stewart

edit: Just remembered as I clicked, I have these slides (possibly more) that I took (28-09-1968):

post-2049-0-77320100-1377419326_thumb.jpg

post-2049-0-41994400-1377419334_thumb.jpg

Thanks to al three of you for the pictures  ....   beautiful beasts  .......   :superman:

I remember the coaches and particularly the Queen Victoria's own coach set.

Wonderful 2 weeks .....  imagine the feeling of power, with your hand on the Regulator wheel, on the footplate of Kitchener [brother to the Gordon in the pictures]  ...   simply awesome   ....    thank goodness for living in a time before H&S [Hysterical & Stupid] got beyond reason.  ....   :secret:

I wonder where those RE guys went  ...   there must be quite a number out there  ..  and ...   those on the Courses too.......

J

• RMweb Gold

Photos from the last Open Day on 5th July 1969. I've ignored the BR stuff.

post-9767-0-96607200-1377548579.jpg

0-4-0ST Lord Fisher

post-9767-0-96053200-1377548570.jpg

196 Errol Lonsdale taking water.

Is that a Spam lurking in the background?

post-9767-0-29626100-1377548575.jpg

600 Gordon running round (at Liss I think)

post-9767-0-84759100-1377548577.jpg

Rerailing exercise, LMS shunter, name and number removed.

post-9767-0-87559300-1377548582.jpg

Ruston 0-6-0 No. 425 in Army green livery

post-9767-0-08830900-1377548585.jpg

Ruston 0-6-0 No. 440 "Hassan" in LMR Blue livery

post-9767-0-08256100-1377548573.jpg

Sentinel 0-8-0DH No. 610 "General Lord Robertson" in LMR Blue livery

All photographs Copyright 2012 C E Steele

Wow, what super pictures, thank you Eric.

think it was the same day you were there, wonder if you are on any of my shots?

There are an awful lot of people there too   ...............    :declare:  ..  :locomotive:

I remember the re-railing stuff  ....   pretty crude but effective  .......   they were just starting to play with inflatable pillows in 1962  .......   the WO said they were good for lifting with little damage, but complained that they took a long time to inflate   ....    I'm not sure he was entirely in support, although, to be fair he did put the case for their use  .....

They also showed us a pit with the track stopped at the edge, where they used to run locos off the end into the pit, so the guys had to get the Loco out and back onto the track  ......   :scratchhead:

J

Hi,

I am wondering if something, like this model might fit the bill

9629619294_fe59affa12_c.jpg
DSC_0296 by JulianR 2013, on Flickr

That rather drab green might just hit the memory cells as Grey/Black, especially with reinforcement from a good many B/W photographs  ..........

I wonder if that might stir a memory from a 62 person    .............

J

Archived