Hornby motor options in an 08/J15 build

stewartingram

Following the recent topic on here of converting a Hornby J52 to a J15, I started again on mine. I've acquired a secondhand Railroad 08 (similar chassis) and been working on the chassis, but have hit a snag.

The metal chassis block was attacked with a hacksaw to reduce its length and height; I now know how I'm going to fix it in the Stephen Poole whitemetal body so that is good progress. The plastic keeper plate has also been trimmed to length. However refitting the motor, an X8809 with an integral housing, revealed clearance issues. My first thought showed that the plastic housing was too wide  so this was trimmed back, but it appears the motor is actually too long.Therefore the rear end/top of the motor is hitting the inside of the firebox.

It appears I have now got 2 options:

1) Discard the integral housing and devise a new way of fixing the motoer (possible). Remove the wheels, then remove a hefty chunk of metal from the chassis block so the motor sits horizontal, thus lowering the back end. (possible, but a fair bit of work).

2) Replace the motor with an alternative Hornby motor. This should preserve the meshing of the worm and pinion gears, even if I decide to replace them with Ultrascale (possible) to get a better ratio and resultant speed range. Ultrascale do drop-in replacent gears for Hornby.

On the face of it, 2) seems an obvious option, but which motor is suitable, if any?

From the service sheets I have identified the following:

X9647 (4-2-2 locos)

X8259 (J94)

X8830 (142)

X9647 (can't remember which that is from!)

These all appear to be shorter, so in theory should clear the firebox without major surgery to the 08 chassis block. However I have to devise a fixing for the motor (possible), and also sort the gears.

Does anyone know if these motors would fit the space, and if the worm gear is compatible with the 08 spur gear? (or if the relevant spur gear would fit the 08 axle). If the gears are suitable there should also be the Ultrascale replacement option too.

I suppose the 3rd option is a completely different motor & gears but I haven't even considered that, hoping that the relatively cheap Hornby option will sort it. I have no problem with control of Hornby motors, having a rather good PWM controller that will drive them superbly.

Stewart

To me, the obvious answer is build a chassis from scratch using Alan Gibson milled mainframes. That's what I've done with my E4 that's from a Nu Cast kit (ex Stephen Poole castings).

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/74517-white-metal-body-mods-not-an-invite-for-gok-wan/

I know it's not the answer you want, but sometimes life's like that!!!

Phil

Archived