Fitting Loksound 21 pin decoder in Bachmann class 37

railroadbill

Looked through this thread,  got lots of information about sound, but can't find this exact project.. 

For my first sound project I want to fit a Bachmann 37, the later 21 pin chassis with all axles driven. Seen a friend's 47 where he fitted the speaker under the fan grills  - (Loksound decoder with SWD sound files) which sounds very good to me. So I thought it best to put the speaker in the same place in 37 roof.

What I need to know (before buying decoder!) is if the speaker will fit ok in 37 roof - there's a baffle fitted already under the fan which I guess is for the Bachmann factory fitted speaker, maybe. If I take that out, can I fit the Loksound oblong speaker ok and will wires need lengthening?  Or is there a better way of doing it?

Also get the impression from this thread that swd or Howes have best sound files - any feelings on this, although that must be very personal!

Very grateful for advice from someone who's sound fitted this particular loco.

Edited by railroadbill

Looked through this thread,  got lots of information about sound, but can't find this exact project.. 

For my first sound project I want to fit a Bachmann 37, the later 21 pin chassis with all axles driven. Seen a friend's 47 where he fitted the speaker under the fan grills  - (Loksound decoder with SWD sound files) which sounds very good to me. So I thought it best to put the speaker in the same place in 37 roof.

What I need to know (before buying decoder!) is if the speaker will fit ok in 37 roof - there's a baffle fitted already under the fan which I guess is for the Bachmann factory fitted speaker, maybe. If I take that out, can I fit the Loksound oblong speaker ok and will wires need lengthening?  Or is there a better way of doing it?

Also get the impression from this thread that swd or Howes have best sound files - any feelings on this, although that must be very personal!

Very grateful for advice from someone who's sound fitted this particular loco.

Hello Bill.

May I suggest that you listen to the Sounds by 'Legomanbiffo' on youtube.

If you like then order through DC Kits and use the speaker that comes with the chip.

You can remove the fan if you want or alternatively, sink the speaker lower in its 'box' and then cut the sindes down.

Best of luck

Dave

Hello Bill.

May I suggest that you listen to the Sounds by 'Legomanbiffo' on youtube.

If you like then order through DC Kits and use the speaker that comes with the chip.

You can remove the fan if you want or alternatively, sink the speaker lower in its 'box' and then cut the sindes down.

Best of luck

Dave

Or get the Low Profile chamber from DC Kits to go with the 20X40 Speaker supplied on the 21Pin Version,not cutting down here, always remember to fill ALL holes (4 in speaker housing & 1 in the notch you cut to allow the wires to get out) with tacky wax or similar.  This will greatly amplify your sound.

• RMweb Gold

Both of these are howes with a speaker fitted directly under the grill :) I have a mixture of Howes, SWD and Zimo sounds for my 37s but I agree about the comments on legomanbiffo ive got a 56 and 31 with sounds from him and the 56 is awesome :)

Thanks to all above for all the info about dcc sound and speaker mounting, particularly about sealing back of speaker for good performance. Having seen pheaton's excellent videos I'll just have to have a go, definitely convinced a 37 is a suitable candidate.  By the way, liked the retaining wall on your layout, Pheaton, given me an idea for a part of my layout.  

• 9 months later...

I've just got the Legomanbiffo chip for my tractor and have got the low profile sound chamber. Now I can see the lugs on the back of the fan unit and they nicely line up with the holes on the speaker but the position of that is towards the centre of the loco and the recess in the chassis is more towards the front. With the two items not lining up the sound chamber wont fit in the recess of the chassis. Basically I can't seem to find enough package space for the fan unit, speaker and chamber to line up as intended. If the fan unit has to go that's cool, but if there is an ingenious way to get them all to fit then that's even better :sungum:

An please what do all you peeps do with all the wires that are laid in the chassis recess?

Thanks in advance

• 3 years later...

In mine,

We have removed the fan surround in the roof of the 37 leaving the fan held in place with a piece of insulation tape. The two lugs on either end of the speaker have been removed. The roof will come down over the model but it won't get fully down and clipped in secure. About a 5mm gap.

Any ideas on why it won't go fully down?

In mine,

We have removed the fan surround in the roof of the 37 leaving the fan held in place with a piece of insulation tape. The two lugs on either end of the speaker have been removed. The roof will come down over the model but it won't get fully down and clipped in secure. About a 5mm gap.

Any ideas on why it won't go fully down?

Body the wrong way around!

• RMweb Gold

I've just got the Legomanbiffo chip for my tractor and have got the low profile sound chamber. Now I can see the lugs on the back of the fan unit and they nicely line up with the holes on the speaker but the position of that is towards the centre of the loco and the recess in the chassis is more towards the front. With the two items not lining up the sound chamber wont fit in the recess of the chassis. Basically I can't seem to find enough package space for the fan unit, speaker and chamber to line up as intended. If the fan unit has to go that's cool, but if there is an ingenious way to get them all to fit then that's even better :sungum:

An please what do all you peeps do with all the wires that are laid in the chassis recess?

Thanks in advance

Fit a bass reflex in the tanks Adrian, easy to do and sounds pretty good. I did this with all of mine until I put the EM2s in.

• Like 1