Have i got a wonky Hornby select

Tel2010

Hi all

I wonder if anyone can tell me if ive got a damaged Select control,I recently bought second hand.The pain around nob is prity worn away.

This is my first forage into DDC and hope not the last.what ever i do just turning control nob sends it off roughly running.When you stop it, it surges forward fast. Ive altered both acceleration and deceleration,but nothing alters running. Running engine on a analog control its nice and smooth.Ive cleaned both track and wheels.(test track ls a length of streamline with power wires soldered to it)

The engine by the way is a Hornby Standard class 4 and the chip fitted is a Bachmann 3 function decoder 36-553. How i understand it,it should be comparable.

I have contacted the company i got controller from,but doubt i will hear anything till next week now as a bank holiday. It only came other day but only just had time to try it out.

I know the select not the best but wanted something cheap to try my dc layout with to see if worth going DDC. Thanks in advance for any help.

Tel.

Neither your command station (Select) or the decoder (Bachmann 36-553) are compliant with all of the NMRA specifications which means that there can be problems with them communicating with anything let alone one another.

The symptoms you describe points to this being the problem. Disabling DC mode in the decoder should stop the runaways as a workaround but you will still find that the decoder will not respond well to the control.

It is unfortunate that your initial choice of components has led to a bad experience, rest assured that this type of incompatibility is restricted to very few DCC components (I can only think of three off the top of my head and you have two of them!). Replacing the Select with any controller that does not support a DC loco should get better results from your Bachmann decoder, and if you keep the Select you will probably find that better decoders will work fine.

I would recommend that you try a better decoder first, perhaps a Zimo or Lenz so that you can do a proper evaluation and then look at upgrading your command station later. 

Neither your command station (Select) or the decoder (Bachmann 36-553) are compliant with all of the NMRA specifications which means that there can be problems with them communicating with anything let alone one another.

The symptoms you describe points to this being the problem. Disabling DC mode in the decoder should stop the runaways as a workaround but you will still find that the decoder will not respond well to the control.

It is unfortunate that your initial choice of components has led to a bad experience, rest assured that this type of incompatibility is restricted to very few DCC components (I can only think of three off the top of my head and you have two of them!). Replacing the Select with any controller that does not support a DC loco should get better results from your Bachmann decoder, and if you keep the Select you will probably find that better decoders will work fine.

I would recommend that you try a better decoder first, perhaps a Zimo or Lenz so that you can do a proper evaluation and then look at upgrading your command station later. 

Hi Suzie

Thanks for the reply.I will try that tomorrow.I had the feeling it would be something like this,trust to pick two bad uns.Looks like will have to look at other decoders or a different controller.

Tel

Archived