Reblow the Bachmann 37 or 20?

Modelling Martin

Hello all.

I am making a trip to Olivia's Trains to get a Bachmann fairburn tank fitted with DCC Sound. Whilst there i hope to get another engine reblown when i ran into a dilemma.

These are my locomotives with their standard sound from Hornby/Bachmann

Black 5

Princess class "Princess Helena Victoria"

Class 37

class 20

class 50

I only however have enough money to reblow one engine with their sound and thought the Bachmann 37 and 20 sounded the worst. Your suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Gary

Hello all.

I am making a trip to Olivia's Trains to get a Bachmann fairburn tank fitted with DCC Sound. Whilst there i hope to get another engine reblown when i ran into a dilemma.

These are my locomotives with their standard sound from Hornby/Bachmann

Black 5

Princess class "Princess Helena Victoria"

Class 37

class 20

class 50

I only however have enough money to reblow one engine with their sound and thought the Bachmann 37 and 20 sounded the worst. Your suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Gary

The 20, especially if it's the first/original Bachmann version, with the terrible "shrill" whistling  ! - although their later ones do sound better, but it's your money/choice.

HTH

I agree with the above. The 37 may not be the most drivable but the sounds themselves are not bad and not irritating, whereas the 20 (especially early releases) is distinctly irritating and penetrating (IMHO).

Another vote for the Class 20 here, if it's the original version.  The shrill at high speed has been likened to a scratched CD, but I believe Bachmann have addressed this on newer releases.

I always liked the Bachmann 37 sounds myself, although I haven't used one since buying more expensive sound decoders, so maybe my tastes will have changed!

If I was getting a class 20 reblown then I'd be going for the legomanbiffo version. Its the best out of all of them. Have had a couple of Olivia's steam sound decoders and I find a lot of the sounds are identical to the ones used on the train simulator add ons.

You might also want to check the factory fitted speakers, regardless of whose sound file is fitted, if the speakers are not enclosed entirely in the speaker casing, you will lose sound performance.

i also have Olivia's class 20 sounds, but i would also throw in a recommendation for the Coastal DCC version :-)

for class 37 I would say legomanbiffo and Howes are better.

cheers

Dave

Hello Gary,

Might be a tad late to say this as looks like you have been and got things blown and fitted. I would reccomend you play with your blown Fairburn as its fitted and save your money to get that changed as well. Like you I have to spend wisely and buy in engines that can be tweaked and improved or get chips blown when its affordable to do so.

With regards to your current locomotive fleet, I would reccomend getting the Black 5 CV settings changed to those listed on a thread here in order to improve the model. The Hornby Black 5, which although a good model with some good sound files does have the recordings played in a way which isnt great. You can optomise this by getting the CV settings changed which in turn improves the performance massively.

The improvements were listed from Bryan at Howes models, Oxfordshire, who has a reputation for accuracy as well as brilliant performance. I have to acknowledge here that I am nothing but a happy customer. The detail Bryan goes to adds realism to your DCC Sound set up. Recordings like track groan, wheel flange, coupling all sound much cleaner and accuarate and are worth the extra money paid. Things like coal shovelling, and the rod clank of the motion come as standard as it where. My Fairburn tank and standard 4s all sound amazing together when on the layout. I would recommend you get your Fairburn reblown.

As for diesels, the standard Bachmann and SWD sounds are pretty much the same. Both are good, but again Bryan at Howes does some great reccordings, also of note is Legomanbiffo from DC Kits, as I have seen some good models he has done with sound in and would reccomend them so that all engines dont sound the same.

Hope that helps...

As mentioned in the above post - try changing the following CV's on the Hornby sound Black 5 -it  makes a considerable improvement from factory supplied

As recommended from Bryan/Howes some time ago, it may ? have been further updated since ? 

CV 2 = 1

CV 3 = 31

CV 4 = 10

CV 5 = 47

CV 6 = 16

CV 57 = 27

CV 61 - 63

CV 64 = 1

Enjoy the difference !

HTH

Ken

Thank you for all the comments! i will fiddle around with the settings on the Black 5. However if i mess it up is there a way to set all the CV's back to default? I have an NCE powercab by the way. Also is acceleration the lower the number the more momentum it has? i'm quite knew to all the CV stuff and all this help is gratefully appreciated.  :imsohappy:

Regards

Gary

To be honest, I can sometimes find the settings and values for what CV does what confusing. My advice is to trust what Bryan has done to the Black 5 and enjoy. The difference is massive and it brings it into line with other engines I have. Certainly I wouldnt deviate from the settings mentioned above.

But that Fairburn needs to go to Oxford as compared with mine it sounds like a bag of spanners... Reblow the 20 as well when you get chance. You could send both down and save on postage.

Thank you for all the comments! i will fiddle around with the settings on the Black 5. However if i mess it up is there a way to set all the CV's back to default? I have an NCE powercab by the way. Also is acceleration the lower the number the more momentum it has? i'm quite knew to all the CV stuff and all this help is gratefully appreciated.  :imsohappy:

Regards

Gary

Hi Gary

Best thing to do is to read and make a note of all the existing CV settings you need to alter. If you make a mistake etc you can always change them back OR - Set CV8 to a value of 8 this will reset all CV's to the original factory values and start again.

CV3 Inertia :  the higher the CV setting the longer and more slowly the loco will take to move off and build up speed. CV4 Braking : again the higher the setting the longer it will take to stop/slow down. Different settings suit some locos more then others, but these settings will also depend on the length of track available, it's just a case of experimenting to find what suits.

The above Bryan/Howes settings for the Hornby Black 5 do make a big difference. Stick with them for starters, until you become more familar with the effects CV changes make.

HTH

Ken

Archived