Blog- Exford Park - Starting over

RSS Fetcher

Okay I've had a poke around for a couple of days and my initial negative reaction has waned somewhat so I thought I'd give it a go and start afresh rather than copy across.

"Exford Park" was born in our loft about two years ago when the decision was made to break up my previous garage based layout to allow garage conversion. So the loft was cleared, boarded and lined with the Airtec product before the baseboards were constructed in the Vees of the roof supports to give an area of about 15 x 9 foot.

The trackplan should appear below if all is well.

blogentry-6922-12555615642022_thumb.jpg

Now the back story, modellers' licence in hand!

Exford Park is located where the LSWR route to London leaves the GW mainline in Exeter and St Davids and Riverside yard are a bit further up the line towards Bristol. Exford Park is a small local station in the Exeter area just after the LSWR junction and Exford Park stabling point is alongside the mainlines between the jct and St Davids, replacing the facilities at St Davids station. Locos from Exeter St D station, Riverside Yard, and the recently completed South Western International Freight Terminal (SWIFT!) near Exeter Airport and the A30/M5 junction, are serviced at Exford Park. The timeframe is 1988 to 91 (ish) so there will be lots of Class 50 action as well as Sector liveries etc, this being the era I remember/like the best from spotting days.

I had wanted to model a station similar in design to Exeter St Davids but decided there wouldn't be enough room to fit everything in allowing for decent length trains, and this way I've got somewhere to store my ever increasing loco stud.

To date progress has been sluggish to say the least with many other things using up spare time but the situation is thus:

1. All track laid and wired for DCC operation with a Prodigy system.

2. Point motors were fitted and wired up to two seperate panels and operated by normal DC stud and probe method.

3. The first start has been made on the senic side this last couple of weeks.

The next few pics give some idea of whats gone on so far but more pics are on my fotopic site for those interested I won't clog up the website with all of them.

blogentry-6922-12555629984951_thumb.jpg

Gives some idea of the space available. Its not possible to stand fully upright and the baseboard height is about 24" from the floor so a low stool is in use!

blogentry-6922-12555631331203_thumb.jpg

Track now laid looking West along the mainline to the junction with stabling point to the left.

blogentry-6922-12555632785745_thumb.jpg

Wiring in progress.

blogentry-6922-12555633304467_thumb.jpg

Exford Park panel in position.

blogentry-6922-12555634263067_thumb.jpg

The FY panel opposite.

blogentry-6922-12555636311296_thumb.jpg

Landform being created from insulation blocks.

blogentry-6922-12555636917288_thumb.jpg

Exford Park station site with new arrivals.

blogentry-6922-12555637555713_thumb.jpg

The same view 10 days later. Embankment coated in Polyfilla and paint, track sprayed ready for ballasting and platform edging fitted.

blogentry-6922-12555638804973_thumb.jpg

View of the junction and tunnel mouth. Embankments ready for grassing etc.

Hope that gives a flavour of what I want to achieve but don't expect a fast pace!

View the full article

Archived