N gauge Steam Loco Maintenance

Popsicle49

Currently creating my second N gauge layout; many sunrises have occurred since then so the majority of my locos are pre-Bachmann Farish and Minitrix and will need lubrication before I run them again.  I'm struggling to find the right advice about this so would welcome the basics about the WHAT? WHERE? HOW MUCH? DOs and DON'Ts Ideally, illustrations would be good but in the absence of those, your simplest most comprehensible advice should suffice but please bear in mind when (hopefully) replying, I'm excellent at taking things apart but challenged when putting it all back.   Specifically, avoiding oil on brushes - what do they look like?  Is the technique different for tanks locos or tender ones?  Recommended brand-names for lube-products? Plastic-friendly lubes?

I'm sure old salts will have patiently endured such basic questions many times but I'd really appreciate any advice or recommendations.

Many thanks,

Ricardo

• 2 weeks later...

Hiya,

I'd put some oil on a cotton bud and rub it gently on the visible gears. I use sewing machine oil which seems to work well.

Don’t forget to remove any hairs from the gears!

I have also had a problem with things being over oiled. In the case simply remove excess oil with a cloth.

In between wiping/applying oil from/to bits, run profusely.

Don't forget the wheels, I use iso-propyl alcohol to clean these, again using a cotton bud. Again run profusely...

At the same time don't forget the wheel wipers and the part of the wheel they touch.!

Cheers,

Friso

Archived