Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

1. Dover Priory, Kent.

David Todd

dt  .............

those canopies look really good  ................   not just nice but skilfully crafted and weathered   ..............   very like the photographs of the full size.

I'm not sure I can see what the issue is with the legs  .............   except they are blue, not pink, don't top high heels and wear stockings   ................    but for models of DP they are very suitable indeed   .......    :locomotive:  :locomotive:

If they need some left/right/forward/back adjustment at the foot of the pillars, a small file applied to the platform would deal with that one and how about using your mirror to line them up like you do with the track  ....  

I really like the pictures, as they really do reflect the full size DP  .....    :sungum:  :sungum:

Julian

dt  .............

those canopies look really good  ................   not just nice but skilfully crafted and weathered   ..............   very like the photographs of the full size.

I'm not sure I can see what the issue is with the legs  .............   except they are blue, not pink, don't top high heels and wear stockings   ................    but for models of DP they are very suitable indeed   .......    :locomotive:  :locomotive:

If they need some left/right/forward/back adjustment at the foot of the pillars, a small file applied to the platform would deal with that one and how about using your mirror to line them up like you do with the track  ....  

I really like the pictures, as they really do reflect the full size DP  .....    :sungum:  :sungum:

Julian

the issue is with the legs, need something to keep the,      bandings up. :nono: 

.............   Aah, I remember some issues there, but thought they had pretty much been solved  ............

I have an idea but need to check with the gentleman at Salisbury Models, who will be able to tell me if it would work - or no  .....

either way that shouldn't be a cause to start all over again   ...   and it isn't doing any harm where it while a solution is found   .....   I will possibly be able to see him Wednesday and will get back to you soon

Julian

PS - a trip to the local chemist might keep them up in the meanwhile    ......    Plasters ointment bandages  Band Aids  ....   :scratchhead:

Hi dt,

I managed to get to the shop today and spoke with Declan about bands.  My suggestion was to use a stripe of Maskol around the posts, on either side of the line you want to paint, as it is easier to get a straight edge [on the Maskol] working from each side inwards.  Declan immediately came up with a much improved idea.  Put the Maskol around the post in the area you want the stripes.  Then take a scalpel and cut the Maskol either side of where you want the blue line you wish to paint and pull out the middle bit, leaving a band width to be painted.

He also went down a line I think you may have explored and suggested using cut strips of Decal materiel, wrapped round [although I think you may have used some other type of tape??].  When I mentioned you had done something similar and it peeled off, he said he thought that Decal materiel shouldn't do that particularly if the ends overlapped, but followed up with the idea it might be Mat Varnished once stuck - to seal the edges.

I remembered that both 3M and ScotchTape have also got fine Masking tape for use where accurate edging is required, which may enable masking.  I went to have a look and see what there was, I found some other interesting advice attached to their "Fine" tape sections.

•If the surface being masked is highly textured or uneven, seal the edge of the tape with the color of the base coat on the wall. This will ensure that the final coat of paint does not seep under the tape.
•Scoring the edge of the tape with a razor 
blade [scalpel? my addition] before removal will break the seal between the paint and the tape, allowing the tape to be removed easily.

Not sure if you may have explored these avenues already, but worth a post, if others might find the information useful, as I did.  Once again my thanks go to Declan at Salisbury Models.

Julian

Edited by jcredfer

I remember something like that at Universal Studio Theme Park, in Florida,  ............    and you save on the expense of "Sky Hooks"    ................

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Thinking, of ordering, Some Sky Hooks

..............................   it is simply a case of driving      .................................................................................................................     FAST ENOUGH!  ....   :locomotive:  :locomotive:  :locomotive:

I remember something like that at Universal Studio Theme Park, in Florida,  ............    and you save on the expense of "Sky Hooks"    ................

..............................   it is simply a case of driving      .................................................................................................................     FAST ENOUGH!  ....   :locomotive:  :locomotive:  :locomotive:

Would a 'long wait" help to hang on your sky hooks.

......................................               ........................................                       ...................................................          perfect  ...    :sungum:  :sungum:  :sungum:  :sungum:

Ok, I have put the uprights back in, with the banding,painted on.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

............................    although, perhaps some midday lighting on the next picture    .........................       and they are looking a touch large?     :jester:  :jester:

Edit - largesse......

Edited by jcredfer

David good work on the signal what is happening  with the blue fencing to the right in the last prototype photo?

9503358399_3f8baa8970.jpg

8751385276_2e8dbb7749_z.jpg

This took place, last summer, or the one before.,

The older version of glass wired skylight's were removed and replaced with a modern product.

Before,

DoverPrioryStation5812065.jpg

After.  New Skylight's, on the left, platform 2 & 3.

There are now,  no buckets, on the platform, when it rain's.

post-13585-0-10933100-1431587325_thumb.jpg

Edited by David Todd
  • Like 3

But  ............................

9503358399_3f8baa8970.jpg

8751385276_2e8dbb7749_z.jpg

This took place, last summer, or the one before.,

The older version of glass wired skylight's were removed and replaced with a modern product.

Before,

After.  New Skylight's, on the left, platform 2 & 3.

There are now,  no buckets, on the platform, when it rain's.

attachicon.gifP1080655(1).JPG

....................    how will they collect water, now?  ......   :scratchhead:  :scratchhead:

Hi David,

Firstly, good luck with giving up the fags, it's not an easy road, I had to do it last June for health reasons, and after the first couple of weeks it got much easier. All I can say is, keep at it, and keep your goal in mind.

Great photos of the canopies and using the real thing for comparison. I think it looks great, especially the latter pair of photos with the Javelin in the platform.

Jinty ;-)

Even though I say so myself, that Depot shed looks great in-situ with the NR van in front of it.

Best of Luck with giving up the fags! 

.............   Aah, I remember some issues there, but thought they had pretty much been solved  ............

I have an idea but need to check with the gentleman at Salisbury Models, who will be able to tell me if it would work - or no  .....

either way that shouldn't be a cause to start all over again   ...   and it isn't doing any harm where it while a solution is found   .....   I will possibly be able to see him Wednesday and will get back to you soon

Julian

PS - a trip to the local chemist might keep them up in the meanwhile    ......    Plasters ointment bandages  Band Aids  ....   :scratchhead:

Would a 'long wait" help to hang on your sky hooks.

More super pictures David :sungum:

Good luck with packing in the "fags" my mate :drag:

its realy hard at times..

Hi David,

Firstly, good luck with giving up the fags, it's not an easy road, I had to do it last June for health reasons, and after the first couple of weeks it got much easier. All I can say is, keep at it, and keep your goal in mind.

Great photos of the canopies and using the real thing for comparison. I think it looks great, especially the latter pair of photos with the Javelin in the platform.

Jinty ;-)

Moorings, 

Thank you all, for posting,  your support,is appreciated.

Platform 1, has had it's  upright supports' and trusses deconstructed and awaiting a rebuild.

Having tried over the month's, the suggestion's you have offered, for the painted banding's on the upright's, (to deter metal thieves), including Julian's,

recent, post.

The following are the better experiment's, over the last, couple of day's.

See what you think. My skill level,is not that great.

All pics, taken with an ipad.

17715985312_e208234e53_z.jpg

IMG_1275[1] by David Todd 2012, on Flickr

17692181656_6d2b5991f6_z.jpg

IMG_1274[1] by David Todd 2012, on Flickr

17098167293_514a23826e_z.jpg

IMG_1272[1] by David Todd 2012, on Flickr

17530677838_d1b59d45bc_z.jpg

IMG_1270[1] by David Todd 2012, on Flickr

The far upright.

17715951592_2059598718_z.jpg

IMG_1269[1] by David Todd 2012, on Flickr

17098136773_870f77dfcd_z.jpg

IMG_1267[1] by David Todd 2012, on Flickr

17715921312_8a0928f208_z.jpg

IMG_1264[1] by David Todd 2012, on Flickr

• Like 3

Posted Today, 09:48

Hi dt,

the top 2 on the left post look good.  Is the bottom one plastic strip, it looks pretty good too.

Julian

17692181656_6d2b5991f6_z.jpg

I found, much later, that if I painted, Tamiya tape, 6.mm then cut it in halve, to 3.mm. it then, fits the profile of the I-beam,

with a little help of some 4.mm Plastruct channel, pressing into the profile.

Yes the lower band is 70 micron,stick on Fablon.

The broken edge one, is a Maskol experiment .

Have you tried the cut Decal materiel idea  ....   it sounds quite good to me and you might even get a colour match.  It should be less springy than the Fablon, I would have thought.

Would you like me to ask Declan, form Salisbury Models, where the best Decal materiel comes from?

Julian