Matlock station footbridge

Michael Delamar

http://www.matlockfootbridge.org.uk/index.htm

as you can see from the link, the new footbridge erected in 2007 is an eyesore, it only takes a moment to sign the petition.

Im looking forward to Peak rail extending into the beautiful historic station in the future, but the modern bridge is awful.

Mike

It's by no means pretty but the demands of the Disability Discrimination Act so despised by bus operators is likely to overide any concerns about aesthetic beauty. It's not the only place which has been spoiled by the need to provide disabled access, Kettering was one which acquired a monstrosity of a bridge replacing it's subway just so wheelchair bound passengers could take 5 mins to cross the line unaided where previously they could do it in about 30 secs over the barrow crossing with the help of one of the station staff.

I'm all in favour of providing access for all but the current thinking is an over zealous application of political correctness, barmy for short.

http://www.matlockfootbridge.org.uk/index.htm

as you can see from the link, the new footbridge erected in 2007 is an eyesore, it only takes a moment to sign the petition.

Im looking forward to Peak rail extending into the beautiful historic station in the future, but the modern bridge is awful.

Mike

My wife pushes a pushchair over this foot bridge nearly everyday. While I agree it isn't the most pleasing object to look at, it is essential. I can't see how else they could fit a ramp in.

It is a bit of an eyesore, but as you guys have said, it is necessary, shame they couldnt have done something a bit in keeping with the area.

then again, they went and built a modern road bridge the other side of station and that isnt really nice either. just thought Id point that site out to everyone here.

does anyone know when Peak rail are going to start work on connecting the lines back up at Matlock and the vacant platform? it seems to have been ages now since it was announced.

Mike

It is a bit of an eyesore, but as you guys have said, it is necessary, shame they couldnt have done something a bit in keeping with the area.

then again, they went and built a modern road bridge the other side of station and that isnt really nice either. just thought Id point that site out to everyone here.

does anyone know when Peak rail are going to start work on connecting the lines back up at Matlock and the vacant platform? it seems to have been ages now since it was announced.

Mike

Sadly I think it is going to be later rather than sooner. As I said above there are still a lot of issues to be resolved, e.g. the interface between Network Rail and Peak Rail.

There is certainly no evidence of any work on the ground.

Also Peak Rail's attension has been diverted to the project to reopen the Tunnels on the Monsal Trail as a cycle route, which could well end any dream of them getting to Buxton!

I think the whole Matlock site is a mess from the Network Rail Station to Peak Rail's Platform at Riverside. I think what might appear to be a fairly straight forward link up will in fact turn out quite expensive. Certainly well into six figures.

Archived