No 'on power' motor drive from Zimo MX63

Today a loco with an MX63 in it just wouldn't move. No visible damage to decoder components, no smell as of combustion.

Reset it several times, every time address goes back to 03, programmed new address on programme track, and every time the new address is accepted with the small motor pulses (I can see the motor turning over). But on power, nada. Whether tested  on address 3 or the running address, no response to commands to move forward or backward, not even a flicker from the motor, not a kick on a voltmeter attached to the motor outputs (The motor definitely works, tested it with DC direct to the brush terminals, in addition to the movements at programming.)

Now, what puzzles me is that the motor definitely gets power during programming, as the motor gives those little kicks when the address change is accepted. Is there a different power routing on the deooder to the motor leads, in programme mode? I wouldn't imagine so. I will keep trying resets and address setting, decoders do often 'come back to life' after sulking a bit, but I have never had one behave like this before.

Thanks for that thought, I will. Not that the loco concerned has ever been in a consist - and surely a reset would eliminate a consist address? Heigh ho, try every possibility time...

It is so strange, power can get to the motor on programme track when changing the address which happens completely normally, but not on regular track power. Just typing this has made me realise I haven't tried programming on main, something else to play with.

Sort of solved the problem.Suspect the decoder software is corrupted. Resets appear to turn all the motor power outputs off! Manually enter appropriate values in CV's 2, 5, 6, and all is well, runs the ('challenging') motor with the accustomed sweetness expected from a Zimo decoder, which is why it is in this chassis in the first place. I can live with that. Chalk another one up to experience: sometimes resets are part of the problem.

Archived