Compounds and other classes trialled on the S&D

I've just been rereading Barrie & Clinker's 1948 Oakwood  press "Somerset & Dorset Railway" in which there is mention of classes trialled by the LMS which includes mention of Compounds, 990 series, Midland 0-6-4T, ex LT&SR 4-4-2T and Horwich 2-6-0.

Can anybody give some idea of which members of the classes might have ben used and during which years these trials took place,

I'm currently modelling "somewhere in East Dorset" 1930s in N gauge; I have 2P, 4F, 3F & Jinty and have a 7F on order to be collected at TINGS on Saturday.

In my "bits box" I have among other things enough bits to reassemble a Farish 4P and a Crab, the Farish 4P is not known for its haulage capabilities, however a Union Mills Johnson Tender is going spare, (could probably find a Fowler tender body if necessary), so I coud resurect the 4P (or hack to a 3P?) if it would not mean stretching my modellers licence too far. I note the 990s were scrapped by 1928 so perhaps not one of those.

I had a look at the Loco list linked to in another thread, no sign of a compound on that.

Hi Mike

Peter Smith in his highly-readable book "Footplate over the Mendips" says the following:

"LMS visitors on the line during the wartime period included 3 Stanier 8F 2-8-0s briefly, and a good number of Horwich 'Crab' 2-6-0s. This was not the first visit of these massive looking 2-6-0s to the line. Following trials with a Midland '990' class, No 995 in 1925, Horwich 2-6-0 No 13064 was given trials over the main line in 1927 and was well thought of by the men."

He goes on to say that the Crabs were used regularly after the war until 1949 and were admired by the crews for their pulling power - he also refers to 2766 reaching an impressive 74mph at Sturminster Newton. He adds that Midland Compounds made occasional visits from time to time, with 1065 being trialled in December 1924; he also tells an amusing story about what happened when a driver attempted to blast No 1046 out of Bournemouth West as if it was a simple 4-4-0 (it stalled) and how he had to be given an impromptu lesson on the spot about how to drive a compound by his fireman.

David

I've seen a photo of a 2P at Swanage mid 1930s, and also read of through coaches being detached at Poole and worked through to Swanage. Any clues as to when the 1046 at Bomo W incident occurred?

I was just hoping for an excuse to use the Compound and Crab in the mid 1930s! There's always Rule 1 I suppose.

Archived