Farish Class 66 trouble

AllScales

Hi All,

Over the weekend I went to TINGS and picked up a GBRf Farish class 66 from the Bachmann stand at a knockdown price.

I have previously bought a rebuilt Royal Scot in the same "Sold as seen" condition from them and it turned out the only problem was that the front coupling was upside down! So no concerns....

However this Class 66, seems to have shorted out. I put it on the track and it ran O.K. for about 15 minutes, then it stopped, so I reversed direction and again it went for a while, then stopped again.

Now it's dead: utterly... Putting another loco on the track means it don't move either... That suggests a short to me!

Any clues as to how to fix it or is B.R. Lines time? Removing the hood, this loco doesn't have a 6 pin socket, so it looks like an older model...

Thanks,

Friso

Sounds like there is something amiss with the motor.

I would dismantle and try getting the motor to run on its own outwith the block - sometimes the Farish can motor can get sticky or draw large current - often the cure is to run at full speed for a while and let it free up/clean up.

Removing the motor from the chassis block will allow you to turn it over by hand to free it up.

Worth doing, as BR Lines will likely just fit a new motor, which will be expensive.

Cheers,
Alan

Archived