RMweb

Railmaster

Whislter65

I have done a search for Railmaster, and there is pages and pages of question and answers, but I can't seem to see one specific answer for what I am trying ti fund out, and even on the pdf instructions I am failing to understand fully what this actually does. So here is my attempt to understand it.

I have a NCE Powercab, so I am assuming I have to set up all my points through the handset, once this is done I can install the railmaster software, hook it up so the Powercab speaks to the Elink hub and hay presto with a touch of the nouse any point I choose should change position. I am also assuming that the Loco's I have added to the Powercab can then also be controlled through the ELink?

If the above is correct but crude I now have a few questions.

1/ The Powercab will only control a maximum of four loco's. For everyone loco I have over four they have to be inputted individually, so one is removed, then a new one is added. So how would that happen on Railmaster. Does it remember all the loco's you have, would you still have to remove one from the list to add a new one?

2/ Reading September edition of Hornby Magazine there is a substantial article on it but is it really any good?

regards

G

Very important basic information:

The Hornby ELink can only connect to other Hornby equipment (it might possibly connect to XPressnet based stuff from Lenz and Roco). 

You cannot connect a PowerCab (NCE) to an ELink.

If you have a PowerCab, and want computer control of a layout, then it is cheaper to get the NCE USB interface board (to connect to the computer) and then use either RocRail or JMRI computer software.   Both software packages are free, and massively more capable than the Hornby RailMaster software, but both of the free options probably require a little more work by the user to set them up. 

- Nigel

Very important basic information:

The Hornby ELink can only connect to other Hornby equipment (it might possibly connect to XPressnet based stuff from Lenz and Roco). 

You cannot connect a PowerCab (NCE) to an ELink.

If you have a PowerCab, and want computer control of a layout, then it is cheaper to get the NCE USB interface board (to connect to the computer) and then use either RocRail or JMRI computer software.   Both software packages are free, and massively more capable than the Hornby RailMaster software, but both of the free options probably require a little more work by the user to set them up. 

- Nigel

Nigel

This is exactly as I thought, however in the September edition of Hornby magazine it states " Over the last 12 months 10 manufacturers accessory decoders have been added to the system, offering greater flexibility for model railway operation. These include Hornby's R8247 and R8216 accessory decoders, ESU's Switch pilot, Digitrax DS64, Gaugemaster's DCC30, Lenz and NCE equipment amongst others".

If I go onto the website it just shows the Elink and the Hornby system, how confusing

Nigel

This is exactly as I thought, however in the September edition of Hornby magazine it states " Over the last 12 months 10 manufacturers accessory decoders have been added to the system, offering greater flexibility for model railway operation. These include Hornby's R8247 and R8216 accessory decoders, ESU's Switch pilot, Digitrax DS64, Gaugemaster's DCC30, Lenz and NCE equipment amongst others".

If I go onto the website it just shows the Elink and the Hornby system, how confusing

Accessory decoders = devices to control turnouts, ie. a DECODER.  Hornby have added some of the more common accessory decoders to their software. (Quite why it can't operate All accessory decoders which work according to the DCC standard from day-1 is beyond me.  The DCC standard is the DCC standard. ).

That doesn't mean you can connect a DCC SYSTEM such as a NCE PowerCab or ESU ECoS. 

- Nigel

Railmaster is Hornby's proprietorial PC software for controlling DCC systems from your PC. It is designed to use either their Elite DCC Controller or their eLink module as the interface between the PC and the track. It will not work with anything else as the interface device. So if you haven't got an Elite or eLink and are not planning on buying one then don't waste your time looking at Railmaster.

Archived