Barnstaple Victoria Road Oil Siding

Chris Dark

Hi all. I was wondering if anyone would have any information about the oil siding at Banrstaple? I was fortuante to have a section on Barnstaple in this months Railway Modeller but unfortuntly doesn't mention it. I  bought a copy of Taunton to Banrstaple the Middleton Press Isuee. This again doesnt really show the area in any great detail. If anybody can help me on this it would be much appreciated.

Thanks

• RMweb Gold

There used to be a siding just to the north of High Brooms station in Kent.  The siding is now gone, but the oil depot is still there in much the same form as it was when oil was delivered by rail instead of road - it would at least give you something to work with for what to put next to the siding.  

A Google image search for "High Brooms oil" brings up a couple of shots of a train in the siding - you can see it ran right alongside the main line, separated only by a low black metal fence.

HTH

Mal

Great Western Railway Journal No. 42 Spring 2002 has a long article on Barnstaple GWR station. This includes an Ordnance Survey map showing tanks adjacent to the goods shed and on page 81 close up showing the location of the tanks for Shellmex BP and National Benzole. On page 80 is a 1953 aerial picture showing the Esso depot. There are glimpsed of the oil facilities in some of the other photos and information about the companies operating there. At the back of the issue on page 119 there is a photo showing part of the National Benzole depot, but no direct shots.

You may be able to get a copy second hand on ebay, through second-hand book shops or at the shop at the Kidderminster Railway museum.

Hope this helps.

Douglas

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the advice everyone, I am quite surprised their aren't more images of the station and surrounding area if I am honest. I will look into all your replies. Thanks again.

Possibly due to the fact closure to passengers was well pre-Beeching. I went on a train that reversed there in 1956, but in 1960 we went on the avoiding line. Most of us didn't have much money for film in those days and most of it went on locos.

Archived